Over two dozen horses found dead in MD

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by rhinebeck, Mar 17, 2018.

1. AprilFools

AprilFools Registered

I know. People who treat animals like a status, hobby, money or ribbon earner just do not see them as living breathing creatures who deserve the love respect and care that they need & deserve. After all, humans domesticated them.
    I don’t enjoy reading or getting into those types of discussions either. Because no matter what your response is; You just can’t win when dealing with ignorant nasty people.

Larkspade and Mule.girl like this.
  2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Pictures can be deceiving, but in the ones the news article showed, it almost looked like *some* of the horses were in decent condition. Not good, but okay. And then in the same picture, you had horses who looked starved. That's strange. But it's good that the community is stepping up to get the living horses off to a safe place. Hopefully the owners get the help they need, because they obviously need it.

3. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

This is my thoughts, one of the pictures looked like a healthy dead horse that had broken its neck also...

I have a feeling when the police and or AC showed up on reports of loose horses they only saw the healthy ones and maybe one or two that were unhealthy or dead... I think that’s why they didn’t do anything sooner. If they show up to healthy horses and can see water and feed they aren’t going to raise much concern. I don’t think this was intentional on the PD or AC I think it was them seeing what legally they couldn’t touch (in most places) that really misled them.

But how does it go from a handful unhealthy/dead/dieing to over two dozen (possibly more)? Without someone noticing.

The farm owner IMO is delusional thinking it’s ok to let animals get to the point of death, essentially pointing out “it happens”. It does but not two dozen +-

I’ve heard of perfectly healthy horses being found dead the next morning either in their stalls or out in pasture after having been checked on the night before. This I’ve known happening to friends twice (two different friends one horse each).

Larkspade and AprilFools like this.
  4. AprilFools

AprilFools Registered

Yes exactly. I was thinking that the pd or ac could just suggest having a further look around the property to see if any fence or other broken areas needed to be repaired. I should have reworded what I wrote. That would have been legal for the authorities to do.
    Amongnst the dead, dying or the somewhat healthy; were numetous bleached bones of horses. Obviously going on for a long time. Uuugggg hurts my heart

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

These cases are so frustrating. And of course the laws vary from state to state and even from community to community as far as animal abuse and neglect go.

I told my boss up front when I interviewed that I can handle defending anyone of any crime - even horrible, heinous crimes - but I don't think I could defend a person who abused or criminally neglected an animal.

rhinebeck and AprilFools like this.
  6. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Looks like Penny Parker (former cranbury worker) has some of them

Most look fairly healthy

Penny Parker

7. nikki1990

nikki1990 Senior Member

my sister took two from her but they are in pretty horrible condition. Need tons of weight possibly both need an eye removed. :(