OTTB People, I Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Zephyer1995, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Local horse rescue was called to assist with emaciated mare today. Mare is estimated to be around 30 and in very rough shape. She went down shortly after arriving at the rescue farm and it was decided to let her go.
    That being said, we would like to know who she was. The tattoo is basically illegible. We have a few ideas based on estimated age, color, markings etc. I've seen where people have been able to look up who they think an OTTB is and compare markings and such to verify. Where/how do you do that? And is there somewhere that states if the horse is recorded as deceased?

2. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Was that the grey/ white mare?

3. Zephyer1995

Yes. Looking at "Cold Knock Out" and "PerfectlyWonderful" who happens to be daughter of CKO

4. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Poor sweet mare. I just saw her story on FB.
    IMG_1816.jpg

ginster likes this.
  5. Zephyer1995

Yeah. I'm quite local to the rescue so follow them as well as the founder/president on FB. They really do excellent work.
    I feel we owe it to this mare to know who she is/was. No telling how she ended up where she did though. At least she didn't have to suffer into the winter, if she would have even made it that far

~tiffy~ likes this.
  6. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I really wish I were any good at looking that kind of stuff up. Hope someone can track down her history.
    Even in her emaciated state, she was a beauty. Such a shame.

Macimage likes this.
  7. Zephyer1995

Saddest thing is, it happens all too often. They get calls and messages non-stop. This poor mare was only reported to the ACO today and was seized immediately but it wasn't soon enough.

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Poor sweet thing! Look at that patient, forgiving eye. That's what kills me the most, I think. Horses are so forgiving and so full of hope.

That's a face that will haunt me.

9. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Full Member

You can go on the jockey club website and look up things such as color, markings, etc., but if you would be able to at least identify the letter at the beginning of her tattoo it would narrow down the results. Good luck!

10. Zephyer1995

So far only the last 3 letters and that took a good bit of computer manipulation. I did send the link to the lady who actually had hands on the mare as I can't distinguish much as far as markings from the pics