1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

DISCLAIMER: I know how a lot of you feel about kill pens and kill buyers and the people who buy from them, but what is done is done.
    So. On Saturday, I was contacted by the sweet lady that helped me get Calypso, with a photo and a plea: a young mare that had a home offer and full bail had abruptly lost the home offer, with only 20 minutes until then deadline. Could I do anything?
    I am a TOTAL SUCKER. I contacted the woman who quarantined and hauled Calypso, and said sure, fine, I would be the home offer and pay them last remaining bit. ($200, plus 30 for a health paper) I looked at the pictures and video, and despite being dark and blurry, nothing horrible jumped out at me--she walked, trotted and cantered (briefly ) under saddle, seemed sound, although hard to tell. Whatever, no big deal.
    My original plan was to get her into quarantine, and then have them woman quarantining her rehome her. But, then she sent some photos.
    20161018_120023-1.jpg 8039.jpeg 8037.jpeg 20161018_121951.jpg
    She is listed as five years old, 15 hands. Lady that sent the photos said she was worried, but social and curious, walked and trotted easily on the halter, seems sound. Has feet that need a bit of work, and her head appeared to have been knocked about recently, but she wasn't spooky or headshy. Loaded onto the trailer easily and seemed right at home.
    Not deciding any thing yet but. . . She does look sweet, doesn't she?
    She didn't have a name, just a number. For now, I am calling her River.
    What do you all think? Worth keeping, assuming her vet check and riding assessment both go well? I did ask about the way she was holding her left hind leg, because I though it looked a bit off, but lady said she didn't notice anything off about it, so maybe it is just the angle. This person was brutally honest about Calypso, so I trust what she says. The plan is to walk and trot her when the vet is out, and make sure that it is fine.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Rainbowaholic, CheyAut and Pony123 like this.
  2. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

She looks sweet for sure and looks in decent shape according the the picture. Her confo isn't top notch but she doesn't look like she'd be affected in it in low level training. I would watch her feet, some of them look clubby. It will be interesting to see what they are with some work and a good farrier. I'd say, providing the vet check goes well she is a keeper.

Geymirad likes this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Worth keeping. Gorgeous mare, I love the name River.

Congrats on the new addition! Hope this one's not pregnant

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

In for a penny, in for a pound! If you can afford her, both time and money, and are not worried if there is a foal in her future, go for it.

You would have almost matching red mares with white spots!

mygirl1197, CheyAut, Varisha and 2 others like this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Every time I consider taking on a new horse, whether it be a rescue or a dream horse purchase I first consider my personal finances and my goals for my current horses and what my goal would be with the new horse.

I want to be careful not to put myself into a living paycheck to paycheck situation, or where I’m stretched too thin to cover a large unexpected vet bill. That would be unfair to my family and existing animals.

Then I look at my goals with my existing horses, do I have enough time to ride and take care of what I already have? Can I afford training for the ones that I already have? Should I be considering a new truck or trailer for what I already have? Am I willing re-home on of the ones I already have for the new one? Should I be getting a new saddle that fits one that I already have? Would I rather go to more shows or have another horse?

Often I've found with Horses less turned out to be more enjoyable.

wpgrider, Ayedeas, GotaDunQH and 5 others like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

This is the only picture I saw before saying okay--she is less than impressive here, but like I said, dark and a bit blurry. FB_IMG_1476569013951.jpg

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

She's adorable. I love her big ears and I'm a sucker for a red roan mare. I agree her conformation isn't perfect but it's not horrid either and she sounds like she doesn't have any real vices. If you can do it, I don't see why not.

Dona Worry likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I am not looking for anything competitive or anything, just a nice little horse to check heifers with, and go trail riding about the farm. I think she looks a bit awkward, but a lot better than her initial picture led me to believe.
    Being pregnant would certainly increase her chances of a different home. Been there, done that, got the colt.

Lol. I do love me a red mare. . .

All spot-on questions. And some things I need to consider.
    Calypso may go for training in the spring. . . But, that is pending a vet check I am not sure she will pass. I suspect she may not be sound enough to ride, even for the small amout of riding I want to do.
    She loves kids, and has shown some serious potential that, once upon a time, she was a beautifully trained horse. . . If she is not sound enough for serious riding, I may just putter about with her and see if she can be a good pony to plunk my nieces on and take slow walks around the yard. If that is her life, it is okay.
    Quest, now--so far he shows some real promise. He looks like he might turn out to be a good, solid riding horse. But, sending him away for training is still years in the future. Not a factor currently.
    I have no desire to enter the world of showing or rodeos or anything like that.
    I need to talk to the neighbors, see what the barn will look like this winter and beyond--there may not even be room for her here. I need to take a hard look at my finances, see what I can afford to spend on her.
    A lot of thinking and deciding still to do. . . But, at a glance, do you think she is worth even considering as a light trail and heifer checking horse?

CheyAut and Varisha like this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If I were you and after asking myself my questions the answer was I wanted to pursue taking this horse on I would get a complete vet check including soundness and pregnancy and have my riding instructor / trainer go evaluate her. This will give you a better answer than any of us can give you off a picture.

I can tell you from personal experience that once the local horse community knows your a sucker, they will continue to contact you with needy horses. It can be hard to say no....at least I have a hard time saying no....but I've gotten much better at it.

I think she is a cute mare, just make sure she fits your need before you get to vested.

CheyAut, Varisha and bellalou like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Sadly, she is too far away to have anyone local go get eyes on her. . . I will have to rely on the lady who is caring for her, and whomever she finds to do the riding assessment.
    HOWEVER. She has zero reason to push me to take her. . . She has rehomed horses multiple times for various people and has no reason to sway me in either direction. And, she was completely honest with me regarding Calypso, and extremely fair. Board is dead low (less than 10 dollars a day!) and she wormed her, took temperature daily, and got a vet out promptly when she was sick. There were zero surprises, and I never once suspected she was dishonest or trying to take advantage in any way. I strongly feel I can trust her assessment of the horse. She needs to make it through most of her stay without developing a major illness, and check healthy, sound, and sane at the end of it to come anywhere near my precious pair I already have.

I will probably have her get a different vet out than the one that said Calypso wasn't pregnant. If possible. And/or insist on the blood test. Just sayin. Once bitten twice shy and all that.

CheyAut likes this.