1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Opinions please: I Got Em Talkin apha stallion

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Painthorse08, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Painthorse08

Painthorse08 Registered

Hello all,

I was looking to get opinions on the APHA stallion, I Got Em Talkin. He is a gray overo who is predominately english. They are running a special for this month where solid paint mares breed for just the chute fee ($500). This is to show their support for the new rule change regarding solids. He is a multiple world champion and he drives, jumps, and does the english events. Also won the high point novice am at apha world.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on him was. No stallion is perfect-- we all know that but what do you like and what would you change about him. We are looking to produce something that can do the pattern stuff, maybe do the pleasure at a weekend show if going to high point, but be strongest in the english events. She may even want to jump it at some point. The biggest factor for us is a good mind, and then good movement. Would be doing shows like Pinto World, Color Breed Congress and weekend APHA show.

Please lets not "bash" as I don't want anyone to be insulted but constructive opinions would be great-- again, we all know no stallion is perfect. Lets keep it positive!

2. xXScribbleXx

xXScribbleXx Senior Member

totally depends on your mare. He is cute, bred well, and clearly enjoys his performance career, which to me usually boasts a good mind. Sounds like what you plan to do with the foal aligns with what I figure most of his foals will end up doing. Does your mare test for splash/LWO/sabino/dominant white? The new rule change does help a little bit, but still taking a huge risk for a SPB mare who doesn't carry a white gene to be bred to something so minimal like this guy.

I find his neck a little short, and his head a little coarse/less refined than I like on APHA/AQHA show horses, but I don't mind him conformational wise.

3. frisco17

frisco17 Senior Member

I've found his offspring to be mediocre HUS types at best. Them seem to mostly end up AM western pleasure or "tweeners".

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Why would you want to breed a solid paint to a grey? Even if you did , somehow, end up with color, it's going to grey out. Then what would be the point? Paints are an outcrop due to excessive white and you now want to show a grey, with the issues grey horses have, in APHA?

Makes no sense to me. You want cheap? Go buy a colt. Much cheaper than breeding one.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's very nice. I know zip about the paint world myself. Look to his get to have an idea of what you're going for and your mares attributes.

@xXScribbleXx made some comments about your mares genetic background. Perhaps she can explain to you why these are important to have in a colour breed mare, particularly for potentially showing. I, know nothing about Paints myself.

6. xXScribbleXx

All that matters to APHA is that the foal has 2" belly white, a white face, high whites...something like that, LOTS of high end regular registry horses look solid, even in the world show pen. Grey hiding white means nothing, as long as its enough for regular papers as a foal, it doesn't really matter after that. So your views are a little interesting to me, aswell as APHA has been its own entity without crop outs for a very long time, yes they do allow crop outs still, but there are plenty APHA horses, tobianos come to mind...atleast up here the top youth APHA horse is grey, we have a double registered who is grey, a open shown mare (HUS, trail, etc) and a QH who is grey, all very desirable and top placing horses in this area. Grey is a coat color just as sorrel, bay, roan, black, brown etc is. Some people love the color others don't, but it will not affect the regular registry of a foal or not.

The new SPB rule is that a horse that may have not passed prior (too small of belly white, not long enough white legs, lip white etc) AND tests for a "pinto gene/paint gene" with 2 APHA parents can now qualify for regular papers. So if your mare is a solid, but tests for a color gene, she herself may qualify for the new rule change, while also possibly increasing the chances of a regular registry foal. Hence my question.

VermilionStrife and tlwidener like this.
  7. frisco17

frisco17 Senior Member

Speaking from APHA breeding/showing person stand point, I hate grey paints. I want a paint and for it to show it's a paint, instead of grey masking it. Especially as most grey paints get so unique of markings too, it's unfair. *pout*

8. xXScribbleXx

that's how I feel about cremellos, perlinos, and palominos...LOL