Opinions on this loan situation.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by NathanAndrews, Aug 9, 2017.

1. NathanAndrews

NathanAndrews Full Member

Someone on the yard had put their 14 y/o cob on part loan, nice little cob, laid back - your gran could ride it. - 11 year old girl to comes test ride with her parents. Agreement was, the girl mucks out, fills nets, makes feed then rides - job must be done first. And that she was to lunge once week, ride the other two, the only thing was she had to tell the owner the day she would lunge so the owner could figure on when she's lunge ( horse gets lunged twice a week, ridden three times a week - two days off)
    The girl wasn't mucking out properly. Was leaving all the wet it and taking clean bed out thus the owner ended up being down every day to make sure jobs where done correctly. In the end the owner said she'd do the bed the girl just needed to fill nets and make his feed. Due to the fact she was going through three bags a shavings a week when she was going through one.

The owner leaves her a month to figure out what days she wants to ride and what day she wants to lunge. She never got an answer so she asked the girl if she could lunge on Tuesday and she'd lunge him on a Friday. Girl agrees. Lunges horse, goes home. Doesn't tell the owner. Horse is still in its stall, not been turned out, nets are empty.
    I ring the owner - she'd left after asking the girl and her parents if they was okay with him - and explained that jobs hadn't been done. She came back, the horse was sweaty and lame. So she spent 15 mins hosing its legs down before she put him back in his field. Did his jobs. And then texted the girls parents explaining what had happened.
    The girl had told her father all the jobs had been done, that the owner was lying and that the girl didn't feel like the horse was hers on hers nights. The owner rang them, was told she was lying that the nets had been done and the horse was put in the field before they left. Owner refused to argue and just ended the call with "im sorry but due to the loan agreement being broken I'm going to have to stop your child loaning. It was nice meeting you and I hope you find a suitable horse for your child in the future."
    Child's mother proceeded to text someone else on the yard to try and find out the owner is lying, other person explains the child didn't do jobs and whatever.
    Owner finds out the girl had also been putting her friends on the horse without permission, she had been randomly adding things to his feed, and taking rugs on and off in the field because the "weather isn't that bad" horse is clipped all year round.

Did the owner handle the situation right or wrong?

2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

It's his/her horse. If the owner doesn't like how things are being done, he or she is free to break the loan agreement for whatever reason they want.

Arem likes this.
  3. NathanAndrews

I agree but I'm the middle because the owner has the horse on full loan from me. So the kids parents is asking me if I agree with what's being said which I replied with "Right now, the horse is hers, she pays the bills, she has had it for x amount of years, I trust her." And then the parents proceeded to ***** at me.

4. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

Yep I'd end the loan and be done with it. Doesn't sound like those people have any business being responsible for any part of the horses care.

Macimage, Varisha and ginster like this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I can totally understand ending the lease agreement with that girl.

Varisha likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Yup I would end the lease with the girl and forget about her.

Macimage and Varisha like this.
  7. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

Completely in the right. The girl and her family were not meeting terms, and it was harming the horse. They can stew about it all they want, that's the truth.

Macimage, Varisha and PyroTekNik333 like this.
  8. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

So the "owner" has the horse on loan from you and is subletting it, as it were? That's a weird situation. Am I understanding you right?

9. NathanAndrews

Yes. She was doing it as favour. In a way. It was only till they moved country. They didn't want to buy and pay 8k to move horse over their so the person who has the horse on full loan from did them a favour. I agreed. She asked me first - although she didn't have to - but she is paying him off monthly so he will soon to be hers.

Varisha likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, she chose a kid too young and irresponsible as a leaser, in the first place, so she put her pony in danger. Then, when the kid did a bad job on stalls, she let her out of doing that job at all: rewarded her for bad behavior.
    Breaking the lease was the only good decision she did make.

Arem, D_BaldStockings and Nu5ha like this.