Opinions on Chambon??

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Horseychick010, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Horseychick010

Horseychick010 Full Member

Hey,
    I would like to know peoples opinion on using the Chambon as a training device to correct horses flexion and if anyone has used it...what was the results.
    Thanks

2. WhisperingStar

WhisperingStar Senior Member

What exactly is that ? I personally have never heard of that.

:)

3. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

4. WhisperingStar

WhisperingStar Senior Member

Looks like it is used for collection , and I do not like the looks of it. It does look like it would confuse the horse.

Thanks Moostang.

5. John

John Senior Member+

I think they are fine but you need some experiance with one before trying it on your own.

6. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

Bah I don't like it but then again I associate it with a devil dressage trainer who beats her horses. DIE DEVIL DIE!

7. julie&chico

julie&chico Banned

Hey, I didn't really like the chambon martingale either, if you are looking for flexion from your horse. you should try draw reins as a training aid. They are a lot more forgiving than the chambon or a german martingale. You can place the draw reins in several places: Between the legs, attached to your horses breastplate, or on either side of your girth. When I use draw reins I work my horse in a snaffle and have the draw reins placed on either side of the girth and hold the reins like a double bridle that way I can easily let the draw reins slip through my fingers if my horse starts to get uncomfortable.

Good Luck

Julie

8. showjumper

showjumper Senior Member+

gadgets are a no no for me,i would much rather take the tiome and effort to find out what the root of the problem is and find ways of schooling over it, and if you dont have the time, dont have a horse, its harsh but i have seen so many good horses ruined by gadgets and so called friendly correction aids!

9. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I wouldn't use it. I have done tons of bending exercises with my horse, and his flexion is great. I think that there are better ways of achieving this goal then by using a mechanical device.