Only Oats? Maybe

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LoveTrail, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

A lot of them use corn to clean out the machines.... run corn through between batches. Sometimes it gets in the bag. I had this issue before with a feed company. I called and complained and they gave me free feed.

mooselady and manesntails like this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Since it is only my horse with the corn allergy they most likely won't. Will check in a few weeks to see if it still has corn in it.

Here's a before and after video of him showing how it affected his movement. One before he was off of it and then five days later after only being off of it two days. A friend thought maybe PSSM based on the first video, but he had pretty much every sign of a food allergy from loss of hair, scaly skin, lesions, minor breathing issues when the hives were at their worst, swelling spots on the belly, etc.

October 20, 2017. That hitch has been there for years and never resolved. A few times it disappeared, turns out the grain he had at the first barn when I went on my own he had no hitch there was no corn in it. Looked it up last night. I was pushing him to go forward with my small spurs.

[video]

October 25, 2017. No spurs, no pushing since it was his first day riding after showing. Not perfect, but just two days off of corn and already a change. You can even see he is more relaxed too even though it was blowing outside.

[video]

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

A little update. That other horse just died from the Safe Choice Original. This was the Facebook page about what the horses had been going through before their deaths. Not sure if she will update due to what maybe her lawyer told her.

Saving General & Xenia

And here's Foxy at day 4 of no corn. He now has lift again at the lope and not hitting the poles all the time.

[video]

GONE ROPING and Larkspade like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Update of him today.

He had chiro yesterday and the chiro said he can really see and feel a difference in him. His chiro work took less time too.

And his photo shows him getting just getting even more shiny. No video though, have had some issues with videoing. So dry here so I think I get dust on the lens and my camera focuses on that. :willynilly:

23561644_10159481496650431_8846896238878617043_n.jpg

GONE ROPING likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Update today. It was 65 so a good day to take a photo. :D

Still getting more of his muscle back and his color is almost back to normal. I recently added probiotics to his feed after reading that's good for a horse getting over a food allergy and with it being a food that is already harder for horses to digest, will take longer to get completely out of his system. Saw another improvement with that.

Plan on getting the vet out soon for a lameness check, he had hopefully the last abscess he will get early December. He usually needs one every year or two in the front left due to him tearing his deep flexor tendon when he was four. Might need his diagonal right hock done for the first time. Have reaction sometimes to the laser in the front lower part of his hock which was also his short striding leg from the corn and the left front leg.

Also got his first halter points in a year at the last show a couple of weeks ago beating horses from six to eleven years younger than him. And our western riding which suffered the most riding wise we upped our scores by five points.

Also, his dent in his neck is nearly gone. You have to look for it to see it faintly now.

And my farrier told me he can balance better now while being shod and thinks maybe after ten years, got those when he was first put on a corn grain, we might be able to take his wedge pads off. I have to time that right just in case it doesn't work and need them back on since our show season is in full swing now.

26903901_10159750571350431_3136929465829007724_n.jpg

kodemiester and Larkspade like this.
  6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

And a video from yesterday, just past midnight here. :p

We are doing lead changes and now I can ask less of him to get them. Used to be right to left we could rarely get. Either a bunny hop in the back or a stride late. Now it is our best way.

[video]

kodemiester and Dona Worry like this.
  7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

He's looking great....glad you got it figured out! When I had my dun gelding, he was on whole oats.....and I got triple cleaned oats.

LoveTrail likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Well, another update. I had one friend almost lose her horse to laminitis because of his weight at age nine, she never told me exactly what he has just know he has a special diet. Then another did get put down due to laminitis in all four feet due to unknown advanced Cushings at age 16. So decided to have Foxy tested for metabolic syndrome, Cushings and IR. Turns out he has IR. And based on blood test in March, he had severe IR with a high risk of laminitis.

The first photo was taken just eleven days before the test and he doesn't look like he was severe. I think that photo of him skinny was an IR attack. And yesterday's photo after being put on magnesium four days before shows him even better yet. Also took two inches off his belly from bloat. Could tell based on his belly band sheet fit. He's even more relaxed, looks like he has a summer coat which was the same length in the March photo, but he puffed out. Which he does when he isn't feeling quite right. And he is getting darker. Another sign he is feeling better yet. We are going to test him again Tuesday because he just doesn't look like he is about to get laminitis at all. Due to a mix up didn't get the results until today. Should have taken three days not five weeks.

Also still plan on testing for PSSM1.

Foxy March 17, 2018 still improving, but considered severe IR.

FoxyMarch172018.jpg

Then yesterday, May 3, 2018. Even better yet.

FoxyMay32018.jpg

froglander likes this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

So here's a recent video. He is trotting more even now and softer with spring. His right hind is improving so much. His right lead lope he is less stabby and quick. I read IR also affects the muscles.

[video]

equinitis likes this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Also on reading about IR and symptoms, I found out that dip in front of his withers is not atrophy, but actually it is showing he has a cresty neck. That's was his first real symptom body wise so will take the longest to go away. Once that it is gone I will really know he is really healthy. Another friend felt he had terrible feet and will get laminitis soon. I think she is wrong because at his worst he didn't even though he had been injected, and when was maintained on Dex for a few weeks he still didn't. Now I know his abscesses were due to the IR/corn so that might be how he reacted to his IR in his feet. Right now we are five months at no abscesses and six months no corn. And you can see in this shot I took in October still on corn, his bad left front, tore his deep flexor tendon when he was four so has an inch long scar there, he was a bit on his toe just standing.

31968132_10160218042760431_6687151727822503936_n-2.jpg