Only Oats? Maybe

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LoveTrail, Oct 23, 2017.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

So I couldn't figure out why Foxy wasn't getting better anymore after I took him off of Safe Choice Original that he was highly allergic to. Hives, atrophy, flared hooves, muscle pain were all symptoms from it. He accidentally got it once two weeks after I took off of it, just two bites, and still broke out.

I put him on Triple Crown Senior that has no corn when I saw a couple of years ago he had hives before when I gave him Purina Ultium, just didn't know that was the problem at the time, just had taken him off of it because it was not improving his topline.

Today, I notice he had a slight break out on his neck and just was looking at his atrophy on his withers, neck and shoulders trying to figure out why they weren't improving anymore and his muscle pain. Was thinking I was over doing the massages and laser or even saddle fit.

Well, it turns out at least one feed mill puts corn in their oats even though the tags say they only have oats in the ingredients. And its the one my barn uses, it says Ag Feed, but that appears maybe that is a co-op?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Or maybe it's an insect population that just blossomed or a tree that's shedding pollen at the moment.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Can you get him straight no. 1 oats? What else is he getting? I did the best pulp, oats and straight rice bran with Severus last year. I use Mccauleys rice bran and whole oats. I would be ticked if other ingredients, other than listed on the tag, were in my oats or feed.
    What kind of hay is he getting?
    How often are you doing massage and laser?
    What about trying Some lysine and vitamin e? How bad is the atrophy?
    Definitely start w the diet. Hope he's ok.

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Every single bag has the corn in it, but the tags don't mention the corn. The one I had bought from Jaxx, different brand, it doesn't have corn, neither does the oats my daughter's mare gets at the trainers.

This year we've had so many horses at the barn have different issues. And then hearing about those horses near us that ate Safe Choice Senior with monensin in it. One died, the other will not live most likely much longer it damaged his heart so bad. The horses in our barn had so many problems including numerous ones with hives and hoof abscesses. One with hives and tooth abscess. Mine with hives and jaw abscess. Another had Woody tongue which is rare in horses. And just yesterday a horse came down with a bacterial infection with a temp of 105! Also we had two older horses die, one from colic and one just dropped dead I think a week later. Need to check when the colic one died since I posted it on Facebook. I was just blaming Safe Choice since most of these horses have that in common including a friend that is at another barn. But, now today it looks like corn is Foxy's big issue. Good and bad. Good that now I know it wasn't toxics that will affect him long term, but bad that corn really hurts him.

He gets half alfalfa and half grass. First barn that he has grown a tail. He's back on Triple Crown Senior starting today. He also was getting RiteTrac again because I thought maybe what he was going through was giving him ulcers again. He gets SmartPak GI Pellets, Sho Glo, put him back on Farrier's Formula because he chipped his hoof from the flares, though turned out that chips was where he needed to be trimmed. I had just started him on joint pellets because he was sliding backwards and he is 15.

I massage pretty much every day, similar to Masterson's Method, laser maybe every other day since it all started. Gets chiro once a month. Magna Wave depends, on average maybe once a month. He was shockwaved three times after his neck atrophied and acupuncture once in the areas where his hives have been the worst. And his neck was injected a month before the neck atrophy and not really where the dent happened, but behind it towards the withers.

Here was Foxy on in January.

16114060_10157976944270431_1263771185222756642_n-4.jpg

Then the neck that happened over night on May 11.

22221495_10159303620890431_3511044341158164709_n.jpg

22154583_10159303620830431_3059312267957393453_n.jpg

Him in June when I just figured out the Safe Choice.

22228601_10159303648965431_8254518603443067840_n.jpg

Then him a couple of weeks ago, getting better, but still not 100%.
    22448543_10159346402470431_6341314555485713631_n-3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

His vitamin E and selenium were perfect in April. Had him tested in Vegas when he got the hives twice there. Looks like the horses died the same month Foxy got the dent in his neck.

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Since his hives started in January it was obvious it wasn't plants outside nor insects. No recent pollen, we had our first freeze weeks ago.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What's your question?

Are you wanting him on just whole oats and a vitamin selenium supplement?

I would call the lady at myfineequine.com, tell her what's going on. Buy the KLNZ and the ABC vitamins and whatever else she recommends. That's what I did when my QH got snake bit. Feed whole, soaked oats. Soak them overnight, rinse well. The soaking releases beneficial enzymes. Add your vitamin selenium supplement and keep him on the same free choice hay.

Bags of whole Race Horse Oats always have a few kernels of corn here and there. You pick those out and the rinsing will remove any corn meal flour that may be in with the oats.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Was just letting people know that sometimes what's in your grain in not listed on the tag. The other posters asked how he was doing and what I had done for him. Hopefully will be able to update in another month that he is finally back to normal with the corn gone again from his feed.

He was tested for selenium and E during one of his hives episodes and the levels were fine. Oats the barn gets has corn in it though the tag says only oats, why he broke out again lightly, at first thought it was a ten day delay reaction to his vaccines, and his topline went backwards a bit again, just around the withers versus his whole topline. So I just put him back on Triple Crown that has no chance of corn in it. Barn feeds him his grain, so easier to just say feed him the Triple Crown, then another bag that I picked out the corn. We picked out about twenty kernels from just a small coffee can worth for him last night when the barn help told me there was corn in it.

It is interesting what a food allergy can do to a horse. I had people say just let him keep on getting the hives and he would get over it. Obviously he won't, we are on nine months of it. And suffered a lot internally, not just the unsightly hives, but atrophy, muscle pain, slightly neurological, only noticeable on a tight turn, I video tape most of my rides so saw a slight change in his trot that is now gone, flaring in his hooves, and most likely would have had a bad case of ulcers, but I kept that at bay with RiteTrac.

And I still question Safe Choice from when it got worse in May. I heard they changed mills to one out of state recently. The horse that I knew about that died was at CSU, so maybe they saw more than that horse and Safe Choice got contacted. Am sure they wanted to keep it quiet.

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Already a difference in Foxy in just one day off of the corn in his oats. Chiro did a quick check of him and found him much better than he has been in awhile. Also noticed his atrophy looked less on his neck, and the neck was less tight. Will see how he rides tomorrow.

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Two days off corn and took a photo and his neck seems less atrophied. I also rode him and his HMS spins are back. Before he would get bound up doing them in his shoulders. Taken today with a temp of 84, snowing 24 hours later. :confused: I rinsed him after turnout why the dark under belly. 22728640_10159388519270431_5316108712101730489_n.jpg

doublelranch likes this.