Online Dating

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Mar 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Guys. So I joined an online dating site (Hinge) with super low expectations while I was a little tipsy and watching Say Yes To The Dress. My cousin met her current boyfriend there, and they're adorable so I thought I'd give it a shot. I just don't meet people between school and clinicals and work, seeing the same people every day, and living in an area that doesn't have a very convenient place to go out and meet people (downtown is a 35min drive so not a regular nightly outing). I felt like I needed to try something different, and she said you're matched with people who typically have mutual FB friends, so I gave it a shot.

So, I was on for all of a couple days, I met a nurse who liked one of my photos, I struck up conversation, we started texting, and it turns out we're weirdly similar (discovered coincidentally, not like, oh you love beer, I do too sort of thing). I'm graduating as PT in May and he's a RN and his sister is a PT. We've already talked about people trying to puke on us :rolleyes: We like eating and hiking and beer and whiskey and the occasional cigar which I ensured wasn't intimidating. We have actually probably shared patients based on where he works and where I was last summer on clinical so that was pretty funny. We both haven't had a ton of dating experience, but are about the same age (less than a year apart) and seem to be looking for a lot of the same things. Soooo we have a date a week from today at a brewery and dinner and maybe a walk along the boardwalk in the town we're meeting at if the weather's nice.

I'm honestly pretty shocked. Obviously it may not be a good connection when we actually meet in person, but I can't help but be excited for it... We seem to be pretty compatible so far at least. Anyone else have success? I was always pretty skeptical of online dating, and it made me pretty uncomfortable. I was careful with it but am still surprised. I think it's like 20% of couples meet online now... What a wild ride the last week has been :rofl: Do share!

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Exciting! I’ve never met a romantic partner that way but I’ve made lifelong friends of both sexes so I am firmly in the camp that says you can form meaningful relationships online.

It sounds like you have a lot in common. I’ll be eager to hear how it went!

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I know of a ton of successful relationships born via dating websites. My best friend married a guy last year that she met online (Plenty of fish or something like that). Another good friend of mine is in a long term relationship thanks to Farmersonly.com :rofl: I met my husband the old fashion way over a bon fire in the woods but its definitely been proven that you can meet people online and be happy!

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Just be careful obviously. I've heard of some people scanning peeps social media and getting information to "use" so, who knows. If you didn't put anything on there that they could look you up on, great. I had a few dates, really great guys, but no compatibility, so I've no helpful input.

Don't drink more than one, possibly two drinks for certain. I'd honestly meet for a late coffee myself before a classic date, but that's me. You could decide to go elsewhere after that, but it would give you an out if there's no interest.

Go very, very slow. I think people share so much on the computer that they feel they know someone when they really don't. Other than that, carry a Taser and a sawed off shotgun and wear body armour..in other words.. have fun-!!

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol I'm definitely not a very trusting person, and have been very careful. We're Snapchat friends now (judge away, my brother was dumbfounded at what our generation has come to :rofl: ) so I know he's a real person at least. He started out kind of reserved where I thought he was maybe on the fence, but he opened up last night about not being into just a hookup and about not really doing this before. I was able to open up after that about being in basically the same boat. It didn't help that I was eating dinner and drinking whiskey in celebration of my brother's birthday last night when he texted me a long, heartfelt, honest novel of a text basically laying it all out there, and I didn't respond for half an hour or so and I think scared him that I ran the other way :rofl: He was the first to ask me what exactly I'm looking for and what made me decide to join the site, so I think he did a good job vetting me well too. It will be a very public place, I'll have pepper spray on me, I will not over consume, and I'll still stay guarded considering we haven't met yet. But I'm still excited :D

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

So far so good-!!

Huge question, is he cute? :p

~tiffy~ and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  7. paval

paval Senior Member

Plan to have a friend give you a "checking in on ya" call on your cell phone at a designated time.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol he described himself as a husky bearded man (he's not thaaat husky). He's got dark hair and brown eyes, so right up my alley :p He sounds tough but also nurturing which I won't lie, are both very attractive traits to me (y)
    Yes I will be telling multiple people where I'm going and will send check in texts for sure!

bellalou and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Good luck. Hope yo7 guys have a great time. I have zero experience with online dating. I had my first email account in college and we used to go to the library to check it...on dial up. :p

10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

He sounds great. Like an honest person who is not trying to be someone he’s not.

ginster and DocsLglyBlonde like this.