Onchocerca or Hypoderma bovis???

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by gina1960, May 31, 2018.

1. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

Today I told my horse how the vet advised me to use a double dose of Moxidectin (Equest Paramox). it is much stronger than Equimax and then in double dose. Hopefully that works fine ... The veterinarian said after Dectomax, Ivomec and Equimax, the effect is not so strong, because my horse sure no worms in the gut. In 2 weeks I should again give a double dose of Equimax or pure ivermectin. Hmm .. have just found a report that you must not give ivermectin after Moxidectin. Does anyone have experience with it? Since my horse has been itching for a long time, I probably have to give a single dose of ivermectin every two weeks for months.

2. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

Oh my horse has itching, wet spots on the croup, the top line along small bumps and so strokes in the fur that seemingly itch, where like down the head and neck. He is scratching tail and mane. His blown belly is gone too.
    Equest Paramox has done a good job. Only my veterinarian is not sure what my horse has now, grave mites or filaria ...
    I do not really care about my horse is doing better

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Are you still using a topical?

4. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

No why?

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If the horse has wet spots, I would continue with the topical..

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

my vet is not sure what we are doing .. my horse is almost invisible, pustules, long bulges almost like fistula canals, itching ...
    in 10-12 days a double dose of Equimax or double Equest (Moxidectin)
    I have read that you should wait 4 weeks in dogs until the second dose of Moxidectin.
    What do you mean by experience? Ivermectin is already the active ingredient against filaria.