Onchocerca or Hypoderma bovis???

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by gina1960, May 31, 2018.

1. gina1960

gina1960 Registered

bin neu hier ...

mein Pferd juckt seit 1 Jahr und niemand weiß was es ist.
    Jetzt hat ein Tierarzt gesagt, es könnte Onchocerca oder Hypoderma bovis sein. Er bekam Ivermectin und Dectomax und es wurde schlimmer.
    Auf der Rückseite hat er richtige Löcher in der Haut.
    Labortests daern lange meine Frage.

Kann dies Onchocerca oder Hypoderma bovis sein?

Entschuldigung mein Englisch ist aus der Schweiz

Attached Files:

2. slc

slc Senior Member

am new here ... my horse itches for 1 year and nobody knows what it is. Now a vet said it could be Onchocerca or Hypoderma bovis. He got ivermectin and Dectomax and it got worse. On the back he has right holes in the skin. Laboratory tests for a long time my question. Can this be Onchocerca or Hypoderma bovis? Sorry my english is from Switzerland

Is the horse also in Switzerland? Where? A very warm location or cooler place? High mountains or regular place? Was the vet a horse vet from that same region or area? Because if from the same place, he or she should know the parasites in the area.

For everyone in USA Hypoderma bovis is the cattle grub. Onchocerca is found in the US too in the Southern States and elsewhere. My friend's horse picked it up in Florida.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Thanks slc. I had some of my herd of cattle get them, (total nightmare to treat cattle) but not the horses. It doesn't look like what I dealt with at all, but I don't know what stage this is at. There's a topical powder to dust it with that kills them, but again, it doesn't look like it.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It presents as a large raised surface, similar to a huge acne type scenario, only more raised. There'd be a distinctive circular hole with crusty gunk (slight) around it. You'd be able to express it and that's not what I see. Believe me, I was shocked when I examined one of the cattle I'd bottle fed and tried to express the area. Very gross.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't understand German, I just used Google Translate and asked my husband to help me:

I'm from a fairly warm area. Vet is a village away I had 4 vets and nobody knows what my horse has. There are still 2 others in the stable who have the same problem, but the owner does not mind it is so bad .. onchocerca but I can only imagine 3 horses? then rather bark because Hypoderma bovis cattle in the yard

6. gina1960

gina1960 Registered

sorry that google no translated

I'm from a fairly warm area. Vet is a village away
    I had 4 vets and nobody knows what my horse has. There are still 2 others in the stable who have the same problem, but the owner does not mind
    it is so bad .. onchocerca but I can only imagine 3 horses?
    the big hole was filled with black stuff, disgusting. the other holes in the back and mane are deep, do not bleed and have no liquid in them. do not grow too

DelP likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@gina1960 Any chance you can write in english?
    for the others-4 different vets have seen/treated this horse but no one kbows what this is
    there are two other hirses at the same barn presenting the same symptoms but the owner hasn't started treatment yet/hasn't had a vet out to see them.
    oP is leaning more towards Hypoderma Bovis because there are cattle at the barn.
    Re. @Alsosusieq2 's comment: apparently the larger hole had icky black gunk in it..
    The other holes at mane and on the horse's back are deep but do not bleed and do not get larger.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@gina1960 Has any of the vets done bloodwork on your horses or done a test of the affected skin? Scrape test or biopsy?
    see next post, I hit "enter" too soon..

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@gina1960 Has any of the vets done bloodwork on your horses or done a test of the affected skin? Scrape test or biopsy?
    from what I found, vets usually enlarge the holes to remove the larvae and then apply a topical ointment/give antibiotics
    Has any of that been done?

Hat einer der Tierärzte Blut abgenommen und getestet? Oder einen Hauttest des kranken Gewebes?
    Normalerweise werden die Löcher vorsichtig vergrößert, um die Larven zu entfernen und danach wird mit Salbe und Antibiotika behandelt.

10. gina1960

gina1960 Registered

yes, no one really knew what it is. the fifth meant Onchocerca or Hypoderma. Took a skin sample, takes about 2 weeks.
    the other owners do not do anything, the horse has to walk and cost nothing. whether you have itching or sores. sports rider without love for the horse.

in the picture a hole of the mane. It also has itching on the head and in the ears

2nd picture because he has everywhere so small bald ... would rather be mites but he does not scratch

Attached Files: