On horses and listening to them

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

THIS. I also add one extra step for my process of introducing new horses, I usually let them see each other with an empty paddock or pasture between the new horse and all of the other horses for a few weeks. And THEN shared fence line between them.

Every time I’ve done this, when I finally put the new horse in, nobody even checks each other out or comes over to say Hi, because they know each other fairly well. They just continue eating like nothing ever happened.

I love it and my jello consistency pastures aren’t getting unnecessarily torn up more then they have to be.

manesntails and CarlisleChipper like this.
  2. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If one bites me, that means I’ve missed quite a few warning signs.

That said, if I’m the cause I don’t make a huge punishment over it, as I always know I’m doing it. I do make a small correction though. Example: while doing body work on some horses need to “mouth” things in order to release the tension. Sometimes that’s just holding my coat lightly in their teeth or my sleeve, but on the rare occasion it ends up more. I have a bruise on my arm from exactly that scenario. Horse went from holding my sleeve to a bite before I could even tell. It resulted in me saying OUCH! Very loudly and then ignored it and moved on.

Keep in mind, I do the majority of my body work alone, so have to handle holding and working at the same time. That can get a bit awkward at times if they get squirmy or like to contort themselves to avoid me or lean into me.

Mcdreamer likes this.