"Old Style" vs "New Style" tennessee walkers...loud breathing???

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by ImDunToImpress, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ImDunToImpress

ImDunToImpress Senior Member

Just wondering, what exactly are "old style walkers" vs. "new style walkers" ? I hear this all the time..."oh yeah, he's an old-style walker"....what does that mean?

I noticed my 16yr old breathes loud, as if her nose is obstructed. Her last owner said "yeah, the old-style walkers breath like that because they have such long nasal passages and a longer head" her other old-style walker breathed the same way. None of the other horses on her property breath loud so I don't believe it is a cold but ???

What really is an "old style walker" vs. "new style walker" ???

2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

My TWH mare does that when she's really in rhythm in the flat walk or running walk. It sounds like *pttthh, ptttthh, pttthh, pttthhh* :D
    Some walkers clack their teeth to the rhythm, others swing their ears, Hope goes *Pttthhh* :p

3. Decembereclipse

Decembereclipse Senior Member

they do it when there striding properly its not a bad thing they do it when their happy and like what their doing

4. ImDunToImpress

No...she breathes loud ALL the time! Not after a good workout lol. I stand by her and she loudly breathes iiiiiiiiiin.....then ooooooooout. And again, and again...very slow, rested breathing but it's loud, I have never heard a horse's regular breathing pattern like this but her previous owner said it was "normal" ?

5. CrazyHorse

This is true. Hope enjoys our rides immensely and really gets going with the *ptthh* thing. It cracks me up :D

6. Decembereclipse

Decembereclipse Senior Member

hmmmm then dont know what to tell you

7. CrazyHorse

Hope does that sometimes. I believe it does have something to do with the nasal passages and the length of the head as well. As long as she's not heaving, breathing fast at rest or snotty & coughing, I wouldn't worry about it :)

8. CaitlynH

CaitlynH Senior Member+

Is this normal in oher breeds as well? My arabian mare is a very loud breather, not labored or anything just slow and loud.l

9. ImDunToImpress

No, no snotty nose, no signs of illness and she's breathing perfectly fine, it's just loud! I just wanted to ask if it was true that "old style walkers" breath like that...since that was what I was told?

Are there any actual differences between "old" style and "new" style walkers? I'm still trying to figure that out, I can't find any related links online...

10. CrazyHorse

The only thing I know is that the old style Walkers tend to be heavier built with longer heads, and the new style Walkers tend to be finer built with a more refined head from what I've read. What are your mare's bloodlines?