Oh this will be fun

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CJ, Jan 29, 2013.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Former boarder came by to visit, and I suggested she try to make friends with Bonnie. Bonnie came close enough to sniff, but not be touched, and did a relatively polite "Thats not Happening" retreat.
    BO tells me a volunteer came by and caught Bonnie, then proceeded to sit their 2 yr old kid on her bareback :eek: :rolleyez:. This vol/lady knows how Bonnie is, and has been. LUCKily nothing happened, but Bonnie reportedly did an "exit stage left" when let go afterwards, and was a lil standoffish next time I went to feed her. No wonder..
    She is letting me grasp her halter, scratch her face, and pat her butt when changed from stall to stall. Im beginning to wonder if we might achieve a Bath before summers over? I have a sneaking suspicion thats Not on her Ok/To-do list yet.

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Wh-wh- whaat? :eek:
    BO had a visitor, young adult lady, and BO says Bonnie went Right Up To her! "Who is that and where is Our pony?" we are assuming that visitor reminded Bonnie of somebody positive. BO has pictures of Bonnie getting a full body/ round the barrel hug, and this pony barely lets anybody pat her butt!
    Proof positive imo that being nice/ firm but fair to your pony beats manhandling it in the long run. Both will leave an impression. But the pony will only come across the field to you for one.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Still a few brainbugs I guess.
    BO was in the barn with a volunteer and 6 yr old grandaughter. The 6 yr olds pretty good around horses, taking lessons, helps out, starting to show. But is 6 and can have animated/ energetic bursts.
    I was leading Bonnie across the aisle from where the minis are fed to a bigger turnout field, and suddenly she surged forward, basically bolted. If the barn door had been open, it could have been a very bad escape scene. Its intentionally closed when minis are in transit; Bonnie could only get as far as the alcove, and didnt look happy about being 'trapped', or having her halter grabbed. We opened the turnout stall to give her an escape route, and she was okay about being led to & thru that.
    Since the adults were standing quietly, I have to assume the 6 yr old made a fast move, even just a hop, skip, or benign flail, and 2 stalls away Bonnie lost her mind/nerve. Im not mad; the closed door worked, and the 6yr old realizes that was an Oops that could have gone Very Badly. And yes, thats the risk/ downside of not taking time to use a lead line.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Having some success teaching Bonnie what "In" means. Shes warily acceptant now of being closed in a stall, but doesnt prefer it, will leave given 1/2 a chance. Its the only place small enough to get a thrown halter back on her. Using hay on the floor or treats, Ive been trying to get her to come up, not so hard any more, and walk in of her own volition. I catch her, say "Lets go IN" and give her a treat in the stall. with a lil gentle 'hazing' sometimes she will walk "In" to the stall unled. Thats good for a treat/ "cookieworthy". She is walking into the stall from outside to see if someone in the aisle is good for a scratch, or probably preferably treat. If not, she walks back out.
    BO discovered she had some concept of "in" when Bonnie got past her, and BO was trying to get her back to the pen gate. Bonnie would go pretty close when BO said "lets go In". BO was unaware I had started working with Bonnie on "in" but it came in handy.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

We must have done Bonnie some good. BO texted me this morning that she has found a home, with a little girl and they seem to adore each other. Will be keeping an old gelding company. BO says Bonnie went right on the trailer without hesitating or looking back. And she was probably No problem to catch. Amazing what a few months (ok 10) of kindness and calm handling could do.
    Will miss her :(. Stanly might not, as Bonnie was big enough and known to roll him once or twice.

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Bonnie is back. She didnt do anything Wrong, just still has times shes standoffish/ hard to catch, I guess still has trust issues. BO had another mini they could swap for whos a little more personable, so she went and Bonnie came back. We havent had big problems catching Bonnie, although she startles/ shies off sort of easily, and has "Um, No," moments about being approached if spooked. But slow and quiet and reassuring, a treat bribe doesnt 'hurt', usually lets hand reach halter. A pet or fingertip face rub inhand seems to convince her staying wasnt a mistake. Shes a few pounds less than she was going out, imo maybe could stand to chub up a little going into winter, just a few. She had a good home, but in a way Im glad shes back, maybe because she was such a 'project pony'. And borderline stinkin cute, issues and all.

[​IMG]

7. PintoArab

PintoArab Full Member

Oh, she looks just like the silver dapple pony I had growing up! What a doll.

8. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

What a cutie :) I just scanned the previous posts, noticed you calledher a palomino. Didnt' notice anyone mention it (except kinda the post before mine) but she's silver black (aka silver dapple), not palomino. A favorite color of mine :)

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

When Bonnie came in 1st time she had winter woolies on, so it was unclear whether she was sooty palomino or just dirty palomino. And she would let anybody get Close enough to check. Now that shes shed out and calmed down, her color is more obvious, and the dapple is a pleasant surprise.

[​IMG]

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Bonnie has gone out again. Apparently she picked-a-person who came to see the adoptable horses, and was following them around in the field. Its a little hard, because we put so much work/time into getting her Um-NO attitude to turn around and trust us. And wehen she came back she was a little light, having been field kept, and so got a little, daily extra attention and food. She would come up and put nose up (to the stall bars) for treats, or take a face scratch. She was older but low-man among the other minis, so would get a pile of hay separate from them/ theirs, so she could eat in peace. I found out she is quite the Brownie Brittle addict, a people treat I can only describe as unleavened chocolate brownies/cake.
    BO didnt tell me she was leaving :(. I was helping feed, did a head count and came up 1 short (not a mini joke.) Luckily people were around to ask "Wheres Bonnie?" and not be :eek2::willynilly: thinking theres mini ago-go between woods & a busy-ish road.
    Funny how its possible to Miss a horse who given druthers wants next to nothing to do with people, originally. Time, care and patience turned a dedicated spooker into a real sweetheart. She still has trust issues, but not nearly as intensely as she did.

[​IMG]
    Bonnie winterized (january)
    [​IMG]