Oh this will be fun

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CJ, Jan 29, 2013.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

This almost could have gone in Rescue or Training, I guess.
    Barn owner took possession of a small pony last night. Weve been looking forward to it, a little palomino mare who has spent the last couple weeks in a post sale quarantine barn. In a PSQ stall. And I guess all they did was feed her because she is Totally Skittish of people. Apparently shes one of those who is okay to handle once you get a hand/line on her.. the trick being getting anywhere near her.
    She is in a stall with independent turnout into a pen, and would come in for hay, but blow Out if anybody went toward/ near the outer door. She would come in while I was in that stall, again for hay, so long as i didnt move in my 1/2 of the stall. She was congenial with the much larger mare on the other side of a gate diving the over size stall in half, stealing hay until given more & better of her own. She did come up to the wall when the hay was put in a rack. Spectators were like a bunch of Kilroys, just eyes and noses peering over the aisleside wall at her, trying not to scare her.
    At least we think its the palomino weve been expecting; she gave herself the total-body mudpack facial right after arriving, and is Covered in steelgrey mud, since yesterday was the first above freezing day in a week+.
    I was texted earlier that she has been introduced and out with the barn's resident sawedoff cassanova mini gelding, and they were getting along fabulously. Im sure she will be fine once she figures out we/people arent 'horse-eating monsters'. Either shes shy from the horsesale manhandling, or the broker 'negelcted to mention' her wallflower (turn & run) disposition. It will be interesting trying to gain her trust, but shes in a good place to let her guard down And trust. I promise to post a pic as soon as we get a lead and brush on her, and some of the mud off.. Or if the chance of t-showers forecast tomorro does the job first.

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Making progress slowly. She would not take (mini) carrots offered to her, but would hunt them down if tossed in her direction. First success is when she would sneak close enough to take a carrot from extended hand, so long as the offerer was looking the other way. She still leaves the runin stall when someone comes in with hay, food, or to fill water. She has the mini gelding for company and theyre getting along well. Hes a little bit (no pun intended) of a bully, pushing her off hay even tho the piles are sufficient for both. When he gets on her last good nerve, she is not above firing off a kick at him. But she wont let people come that close, yet. Shes a lil more tolerant of the Kilroy peeks over the stall wall at her, or her hay/ buckets. We had heavy rain but she seems to have sense enough to have come in out of it.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Oops ahaha

Making progress slowly but encouragingly. She has let the BO touch, scratch, and lead her. She will take treats from me too, and allowed a nice neck scratch one one side. She does not like hands coming down/over the stall wall at her. She is bigger and older but defers to the lil mini gelding keeping her company, when he goes at her doing "march of the grumpy bear".
    The oops- Minis stall does not have electric available for heated buckets, so theirs are on the ground, and get minimal ice. BO was picking out ice last night during pm feeding, and flipped it over the stall wall into the barn aisle, and open feed can. I saw it happen, and picked the ice out promptly, and winged it across the mini stall toward the open turnout door. The pitch was good but not extreme, and poor new pony standing there caught a pop right between the Ears. :eek: Luckily she doesnt seem to know where that assualt came from so shook it off with a startled wheel, but doesnt seem to be holding a grudge. Shes sweet and apparently very forgiving. We're still not sure if shes smoky palomino or just really really dirty (not cruddy) but its too soon & cold to give her a bath and find out definitively.

1 person likes this.
  4. alaskahorse

alaskahorse Senior Member+

so happy she found you all. can't wait for pic's.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Mine are in my phone but BO posted a pic. I have never seen a blaze like hers, which looks like its dammed up behind the halter, and trickles out as a snip. We're not sure if thats Sooty Palomino, or just Dirty.

1 person likes this.
  6. osage

osage Senior Member

lol...funny about the ice. she is cute! Bet she will clean up nice. Will be interesting to hear and see more about her

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

What did they do to her?

Shes still standoffish/ skittish when someones in the stall. We're being patient with that. She is in a mini turnout with a Very pregnant mini donkey for company, and the MD is very friendly, comes up for pats and treats. Pony is not brave enough to pass the donkey to get a treat. I had carrots for them, and didnt want the donkey to hog them alll, so broke piece off and tossed it to the pony, who happily hunts such offerings down. While she was nosing her score, I broke a piece off for the donkey.. that simple gentle *snap* of a thin carrot breaking in half actually made the pony Spook forward away from the fence. :no: We have to wonder- What in the world has been done to this pony in the past? :(

8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO posing with 'Bonnie', with Stanly not to be out done,or dealt out.
    [​IMG]

Sometime after this Bonnie lost her halter. Replacing it was easy, the purchase; putting it on was alil harder. THe other boarder and I did a little strategic 'chasing'- meaning walk into the mini field & toward Bonnie. BOs husband was inthe barn offering amused 'encouragement', like "You guys are doing great!" as pony thundered the length of the barn in 75ft/ 23m sprints. After a couple laps the plan worked, in that by avoiding "E", and headed toward me, pony cornered right into the large stall, and we closed the door. Wary and discontent, surely an equine "aw nuts" moment, she didnt spook in the stall, And was fairly cooperative about putting her nose in a nice, new leather halter. It has a cheek clip, so opening that and a little cooperation made it easy to get the nose in and strap over her ears and poll. We even had to tighten it 2 holes. We were generous with the apple flavore treats, but it was as much reward as bribery, since we are trying to make coming up to people a generally pleasant experience. Stanly has figured that out. Its not because of treats that he tastetests people & their things- hes just a pleasant sorta 4yrold twerp.

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

'Bonnie' got her feet done for the first time with us last night. She wasnt totally happy about it, but was reasonably cooperative. She did a little jumping around especially when it came to the backs, but settled enough to get the complete mani-pedi. She has an affinity for treats, and a goodie in the righthand combined with a quick clean snatch by the left gets her in hand, and she doesnt revolt. If the free hand misses however, she will take her treat and Leave, and getting another try at her takes some time, sweet-talk, and evident, irresistible goodies.
    You know its a small pony when the farrier is willing to and required to get down on their knees to do the job.
    Just a trim, nothing corrective, and no harm done. Bonnie got a lil aisle-walk, patting, and treats before going back out. Just to prove we hadnt brought her in for some sort of 'torture'.

[​IMG]

10. PoochtheMighty

PoochtheMighty Senior Member

It looks like she is already starting to flourish. Are those dapples I see?

Lucky girl for ending up with you all.