Oh This Truck. It'll Be the Death of Me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zephyer1995, May 9, 2017.

1. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

The 6.0 is not as bad as people think, it just needs extra care and a mechanicly inclined owner. There are fixes out there for the common failures. Once your head studs are done and your egr deleted you should be good with regular maintenance. Of course there are lemons that go bad no matter how good you take care of them. But that's with every vehicle .

The 6.0 has a bad rap because people don't understand them. They like high revs. Drive it like a granny and things are gonna plug up. The 15w40 reccomended by ford is too thick for the tight valve clearances. I run a 10w30 year round and have no issues. Oil changes need to be done more often. If I'm not hauling a lot I go every 6000k When hauling more I go 4500-5000k They are picky about fuel. The upper fuel filter should be done every second oil change. The one on the frame rail I get away with every 3rd. The ford gold coolant is junk. Flush it, and replace with a good ELC that doesn't contain silicates.

Good news is now that your head studs are done your resale will be better.

Hope you get it figured. I love my 6.0
    Seriously love it. Most fun truck I've ever owned.

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Any updates on your truck?

3. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Nothing yet. I haven't been able to make time to take it to be looked at. We're pretty certain it's the carrier bearing though. Checking with a different garage today.

JStorry likes this.
  4. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Ended up being the universal joints. I think we only did the fronts last time and now it's the rears. Whatever, long as they fix it so I'm not worried about it falling apart on the highway. Been hauling hay in my Equinox this week.....

5. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

U joints are a relatively cheap fix! Good news. Now be nice to the 6.0... it can hear you! lol

Zephyer1995 likes this.