Oh This Truck. It'll Be the Death of Me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zephyer1995, May 9, 2017.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

So. 2005 F-250 Diesel. 246000 miles. Just did all the head bolt garbage.

Last week I noticed that when I was driving over 70 and backed off the throttle it did a loud humming until it was under 70mph. Last couple days it plays this game also around 37-38mph.
    Saturday I brought Dunny home. Truck did not do its humming (I call it airplane sound) while pulling the trailer. After dropping trailer and heading back out, it started a fairly serious vibration when coming to a complete stop. Not slowing for curves or whatnot, only when stopping completely. Sorta felt like it started towards front and worked its way back and became more violent as it went. Also, the airplane humming resumed.

I really, really, really cannot dump more money into this truck for a major repair. Something minor like u-joints or rotors or something would be ok. But if my rearend is done, I don't think I can have that replaced. Not to mention being down a vehicle. Ugh!

Just looking for ideas of where to start. I've got a mechanic friend who I'm gonna try and get to drive it but his work schedule is crazy.

My mom thinks U-joints but everything I research says you'll notice noise when shifting to reverse and a vibration when accelerating. All of my issues are during deceleration. I had a ton of work done on front end but it's been about 50,000 miles ago. I try to never drive over 50mph with hubs locked in.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

3. Zephyer1995

Went to feed store last week. Kid asked if I wanted my feed loaded in back of bed or over the wheels. Told him it didn't matter because truck would probably die on the way home anyhow. His Ford is a 7.3 so he doesn't fully understand the struggle

Arem and mooselady like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Sounds like you might have the Ford Death Wobble, it started the year of your Ford.

[video]

5. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Check your tires. If one is starting to separate it will get louder and cause vibrations.

Other think to check is your turbo. If it sounds like a plane... take off your intake and look at the fins. Spin and make sure it spins freely. insure the vehicle is not running when you do that. Any soot in your tail pipe?

I had a whine recently. Turns out my cat was plugged. Deleted that and now I really sound like I'm driving an airplane . But I kinda like it lol. Some places are sticky with emissions though so check the laws in your area before removing anything emissions related.

6. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Bahaha, I read that as an animal cat - for half a second I was picturing in my mind an actual cat messing with your car! o_O

Removing the cat is illegal where I live - and a massive fine as well! :O

Sam C., mooselady and JStorry like this.
  7. Zephyer1995

What is this cat you speak of? Catalic converter? Not sure the rules here but I figure it won't pass next inspection at the least. People used to steal those right off your vehicle here years ago.

JStorry likes this.
  8. Zephyer1995

Oh, no no no. I'm not the most car savvy person but I'd feel that, especially at highway speeds. I tried to record the sounds but diesels are so loud anyways it's hard to pick anything out. Pair that with my kid talking the entire time and you get squat

9. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

You have the 6.0 right? Honestly you need to dump that death trap. They are money pits often even with the EGR delete.

10. Zephyer1995

That was my plan. Found a dealer that would trade payoff so I'd break even on it. But I let my aunt and uncle talk me into getting the head bolts replaced and after that expense, I feel it owes me another 100k miles

VermilionStrife likes this.