Official Look what I got from my Secret Santa!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by meljean, Nov 9, 2016.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

I had syrup on snow as a child, and taught my kids how to do it, and the grands have it too.

As well as snow ice cream.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Me too! My family never sugared ourselves but my riding instructor did for years and we always helped. And in later years, my best friend sugared. I love nights in the sugarhouse boiling - one of my favorite things to do. There'd be 3 of us, one guy keeping the firebox filled, me skimming and my friend testing and drawing off.

We used sapline rather than buckets and it ran into a collecting tank right in the sugarhouse. We'd dip an empty water bottle into the tank and drink ice cold sap to quench our thirst - delicious! Lightly sweet and refreshing.

Generally, we'd bring along some chicken breasts and put them in an improvised wire grill rack that we'd just hang by the firebox to cook. Throw a little sap on for flavor... yum!

We'd boil most of the night, catch a few hours sleep and then work all day at his snowmobile shop. Then back to the sugarhouse. Good times!

Our last season was 1997 (I think) and 2 years ago, he sent me the very last pint from that year. Kinda bittersweet.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I grew up in Quebec. Life was different for sure. Ontario is more crowded and the simple things (like forests) are gone. I remember the deep dark woods where I could find fossels. I loved hunting for something so old and untouched.

My sons would probably think I was crazy if I tried to take them to a syrup farm now.

I'm hoping for a horse crazy grandkid. Or maybe my son's GF's little sister might be interested. I miss doing stuff with my kids at the farm. But they are not horsey at all. They turned out to be city kids despite my best efforts.

4. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Last, but not least, I got my gift today! Thank you so much @ZipAllied! I love it all! I can't wait to take hot chocolate with me to the barn this winter. Gloves are always awesome and mine are falling apart, so it's great timing. The socks are perfect for my winter boots, too! (And super cute) I'm excited about adding the lip balm to my purse. It seems like I go through that stuff like candy in the cold months. Thank you, thank you, thank you for stepping up!

[​IMG]

5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

:eek:Those socks!!

Drooooool

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

And they're fluffy! The feel really comfy.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. ZipAllied

ZipAllied Senior Member

@SEAmom, hot beverages at the barn were exactly what I was thinking. I use mine all the time and it really keeps drinks hot or cold for a REALLY long time. And the socks are cushy:wink:. I'm so glad you like everything.

Alsosusieq2 and SEAmom like this.
  8. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Definitely love it all! I immediately thought "I can take hot chocolate to the barn!!"

meljean, Alsosusieq2 and ZipAllied like this.
  9. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

@SEAmom that tumbler won't dissapont! It'll even keep cold drinks cold (and with ice) for 8+ hrs.

10. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

My husband informed me that the Yeti lids will fit on the tumbler, too. I found that interesting.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.