Nutrition Gurus- performance feeding

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Apryle & Rayne, May 18, 2017.

1. Apryle & Rayne

Apryle & Rayne Senior Member

I have a 6yr old 15.1 hh ranch type APHA mare. I ride her 4-5 days a week either 30 minutes of intense work in the arena- working barrels, loping, long trotting, stops, rollbacks(plus a warmup and cool down) or 4-5 miles on the trail in about 30-35 minutes(and then a long walking cool down). She is a 24/7 freechoice hay with a slow feeder net and maintains a nice weight with her current feed(pretty easy keeper) I feed her 1.5 pounds of whole oats once a day(slowly working up to two) and about 1.5 cups of this stuff. Conditioning Supplement | Masterfeeds as a top dressing plus 1 tbls of salt(cause she was constantly licking her block) I would like to add a little something for a fat boost. I am thinking maybe flax seed but someone has mentioned flax appeal. Any advice?

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Why not ditch the oats (full of sugar and starch) and the supplement and feed her a ration balancer?

Idrivetrotter likes this.
  3. Apryle & Rayne

I used.....I used to feed her 2lbs purina integr-t. Its a high fat/fibre low starch feed but I feel like she has more energy and looks better on the oats and conditioning supplement (I love this stuff). I need that energy boost with her. In the winter when she had less work, i fed her a ration balancer, but it isnt enough when I start really riding and showing

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Maybe its because I'm a pleasure person, the last thing I want in my horses is "energy"

5. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

What are you hoping to get by adding a little fat? Energy? Weight gain?

Alfalfa pellets or cubes would be a good way to add additional fat without weighing your horse down with grain. If your horse is doing well on what you're doing I wouldn't shift it too much! You could also try adding in a little rice bran to her oats.

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  6. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I would not feed my horse the Condition supplement, first ingredient is soybeans and soy has a lot of very negative health effects attributed to it. Second ingredient is corn based, this can cause inflammation with the omegas being out of balance, so for me there is a lot of "nope" in that supplement.

The oats also is a problem as the amino acid profile is not enough protein for a hard working horse. The old track adage "oats and water" no longer holds up with our much better knowledge of equine nutrition.

Since she maintains her weight on hay alone and just needs a little extra for hard work, I would use a RB as a base (this way all of your vitamins and minerals are in balance) and then just add extra fat and fiber such as beef pulp.

My OTSTB is an endurance/distance prospect and I use an RB as my foundation and I have added Smartpak supplements for extra fat and he gets a couple of flakes of alfalfa along with his free choice hay (we have grass/pasture but of poor quality and is pretty dead by summer here in Louisiana).

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Id add alfalfa. Nothing at all wrong with oats. Especially with a horse working hard. The nsc and other components of nutrition must be taken into account with the total diet. So does Oats is the most easily digestible grain. Energy doesn't mean a horse is hot. Rice bran is a good idea. Oats and rice bran is a better choice than the master feed which has soy and corn. What is the forage situation and what brands can you get? I use mccauleys omega bran but not sure if you have access to it.

8. Apryle & Rayne

We don't really have access to alfalfa here. Just nice grass hay. When i was feeding her ration balancer, she kept her weight well but she was just dull. Always having to work on snappynest. Now that she is on oats, she is still quiet and focused, but the power is there when I need it. Also her coats and hoof quality have improved alot! The ration balancer just wasnt doing it.... her coat was dull, dry hooves....and I was feeding her the recommended amount too.

9. Apryle & Rayne

I will finish my bag of conditioning supplement and switch to maybe something else. I need something with lots of protein (since she is just on straight oats) and fat along with other vitamins and minerals