Nutrena Senior vs. Triple Crown Senior vs. Purina Senior?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Lorie_Skip, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Lorie_Skip

Lorie_Skip Senior Member

Tell me your Good and bad experiences with the three brands? what do you guys think of them? I know TC is good but I was just wondering. And what about this well solve low starch and horsemans edge?

2. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Hands down the TC Sr- so much lower in sugars. I won't even touch the other 2

3. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member+

Around here I can't get much other than purina senior or nutrena senior. I use the nutrena. My biggest complaint with the purina was that it froze into a brick when it was cold outside. I had to use a hammer just to bust it up enough to use my scoop! Since then, I've used nutrena and haven't had any problems.

4. abbeyjsc

abbeyjsc Full Member

agreed! we don't have many feed choices in my area and purina is one of the main suppliers. I keep my feed inside (bears, squirrels, etc) and even then I find once it unthaws I still have to pry it apart.

5. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member+

Good to know it wasn't just me who had that problem!

6. Lorie_Skip

Lorie_Skip Senior Member

I have that same problem. And also everytime I open a bag of the Purina Senior it looks, smells, and feels different.

7. Kphunck

Kphunck Senior Member

Although TC has a hands down better product, out of Purina v. Nutrena, nutrena gets my vote. I have a few oldies that are on it, both mid 20s, and they look great. There is also a 36 year old horse (not pony, but horse!) in my barn that still gets ridden from time to time, has no teeth, but 6 scoops soaked nutrena daily keeps him going.

8. Rusti0183

Rusti0183 Senior Member+

I also had problems with the Purina turning hard as a rock, didn't matter what kind of weather we had though. It did it in the fall before it got below freezing outside. I gave up on the hammer method and started throwing the whole bag violently against the ground then stomping it until it was all loose LOL. I'm sure it was quite a sight. Anyways, the old pony loved it, but I got fed up with it (and was having to drive 20 minutes to buy it) and switched to Nutrena (got that in town - a 5 minute drive). It smelled/looked better and she seemed to like it just as much as the Purina, and it would turn to mash a lot quicker which was nice when it was 20 degrees outside lol. Everyone is on a ration balancer now, but if I went back to feeding a senior feed I'd definitely go with Nutrena.

1 person likes this.
  9. Broken A Ranch

Broken A Ranch Senior Member+

I absolutely love the Nutrena Senior... then again I have never tried TC since I cant get it here

10. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member+

TC is super duper expensive but a great feed. However my trainer uses Nutrena senior