1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Nutrena SafeChoice

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CrazyHorse, Mar 8, 2010.

1. redhorseridge

redhorseridge Senior Member

Some not all. Depends a little on what you are calling "sweet feed" too. Many pelleted feeds are actually sweet feeds...

Purina makes some bottom of the barrel c.rap too...:) It really depends on what your horse needs. If your horse is doing ok on SC, then I'd probably stay with it (I'm not a huge Purina fan, but it depends on which Purina product). I would guess that if a horse is doing well on SC, they will do well on Purina or most any other feed.

And MFTOwner, Safechoice does (or did) indeed change their ingredients. In all fairness, I stopped buying it years ago so I suppose it is possible they have switched to a fixed formula. But on another horse forum I belong to members were complaining about SafeChoice changing from an beet pulp base to an alfalfa base -- and this was fairly recent. ANd from another forum (last year): "Anyway we talked with the feed store owner and he talked with Nutrena. They changed an ingredient from Rice to Peanut. "

Our local vet sent samples of many different feeds to be tested to see if they all met their GA. Safe Choice failed with flying colors. The various Purina feeds didn't do all that well either. If I recall, Blue Seal and Triple Crown did ok.

Here's a link from this forum that has some Purina Strategy vs. SC info:
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/139874/

As I said, I do have an issue with a company that tauts a feed as safe for ALL horses (even ones with metbolic issues) when that feed could actually hurt those horses.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

She seems to be doing fine on the SC so far. I *might* go back to feeding Empower but at one pound a day she stopped coming in to eat so I added oats and that helped, but I don't like the 50% sugar content in oats, so I stopped feeding them, even though they are digested better than corn or barley, plus I was spending a lot more having to add oats.
    I tried alfalfa pellets and BOSS but she stopped eating all together. What do you do with a picky horse who only seems to like SC and Empower? I know that if I could get a RB she wouldn't come int to eat because she would feel she's not getting anything worth coming in for, like she did with the Empower.

ETA: According to the tag on the SC I have been buying there is no peanut in it, but there is rice and alfalfa.

3. redhorseridge

redhorseridge Senior Member

I was afraid my horses would do the same thing -- why should they come up from the pasture for a measly 1/2# of ration balancer? But they come running! In fact, I use my RB as treats (it comes in a large cube-like pellet) and they like the RB more than Blue Seal Rounders or the butterscotch Manna Pro horse treats. :)

4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

When I was feeding Empower alone she did come in for the first few days, but the BO called me and told me she had stopped coming in to eat after about a week (he feeds) so when I started adding oats she started coming in again. I assume she didn't feel satisfied from the little bit she was getting.
    I have a very picky horse so I need something that will make her think she's getting something. It's frustrating to me as all get out, Esp. since I don't feed her myself so I need to know that she is eating.

5. mftowner06

mftowner06 Senior Member

Why would a Nutrena rep lie about switching ingredients? Seriously, if the feed store owner was told by the rep that SC used no corn in their product and a customer come in and said I need something without corn in it and they bought a bag of SC thinking that it didn't have corn in and the owner took the bag home fed it to their horse and it come down sick then that would make the Nutrena rep look bad and the feed store... and to tell you the truth I'm going to believe my feed store people and my Nutrena rep over anything else b/c how do you know that that person who is saying the **** about SC really is feeding Purina or a Purina rep bad mouthing Nutrena??? And people have got to realize that they may not have a whole lot of choices like other people do in other towns/cities etc... like some one else said if you're horse is doing good on it then why fix something that's not broken.

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

Exactly! I can't just go out and buy TC or Buckeye or anything else so I have to make do with what I do have available to me, which is Purina and Nutrena only, and no RBs available to me either.
    People are going to have their likes and dislikes about any feed. I have fed a RB before but when the place I was getting it from stopped ordering it I had to do something else. So far I like the way my mare is doing on SC and I will stick with it for now. IMHO, a person can make a horse very sick by switching feeds too often. It's best to stick with what is doing the best for your horse. If the horse starts doing poorly, then do research, get a vet check, get the teeth floated, then switch feeds if necessary.

7. 3miniaturehorse

3miniaturehorse Senior Member

I have heard many nice things about SafeChoice. I am thinking of switching my horses over from the feed they get now.

8. hoofs_in_motion

hoofs_in_motion Senior Member

My thoroughbred gelding, hard keeper, is currently eating it. I've gone through several feeds and I found that safechoice really does the job. And like your mare, my gelding finishes every bit of grain in his feed pan.

9. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

My TB gelding was getting SafeChoice for a long time, about a year and half. I recently switched him over to Purina Enrich 32 and added BOSS. HUGE difference. The SC was just getting him by, I'm really impressed by the switch to Enrich 32. The Enrich is double the price per bag, but I only have to feel half as much so it still costs the same.

SC is, IMO, an alright feed. It's not the worst thing out there... but there are better options.

10. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

I can't get E32 and she won't touch BOSS or alfalfa pellets. After researching and researcing, SC seems to be the best feed for her needs and she looks good on it. I've tried other things and she turns her nose up.