Nutrena/ Cargill monensin contaminated feed warning

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BluemoonOKy, May 18, 2017.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

How many deaths is it going to take before they stop milling horse feed behind cow feed??

3. BluemoonOKy

How many deaths is it going to take before people stop buying this swill and demand a decent, safe product?

endurgirl likes this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I was feeding ADM a few years ago, and a case of monesin poisoning occurred, and I did some research, our local ADM mill also mills cow feed, and I haven't used it since.

I switched to Triple Crown to try to avoid this, but I read that article and it seems TC is milled at Nutrena plants

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

Ugh. The other scary thing is...why in the hell are cows being fed antibiotics on a regular basis. I swear people are so freaking stupid...then the consumers eat that crap. A great reason to shop at your local farmers market...where you may find grass fed, sustainably farmed cattle. What the freak is wrong with us as a species ?
    As far as feed, this is why I feed mccauleys because it is milled at an equine only dedicated plant...all tech bought them though, so I wonder how long until the quality suffers from big ag production.and people wonder why I recommend oats, lol.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Triple Crown stopped using Cargill Mills almost 2 years ago, the now use a GMO free mill. Most of my horses Eat TC prodcucts, I have one that eats the Nutrena Safe Choice Senior as he refuses TC since they changes mills.

Here is a link to Nutrena's Statement... In short There was a trace amount of Monensin, which was at or below a level of the industry standard for being acceptable ( don't shoot the messenger) . Tissue results have not come in from the dead horses and the dead horse did not have clinical symptoms of Monensin poisoning which is why the feed has not been recalled. There is a possibility that these horse died from something else.
    Statement on California Horse Deaths | Nutrena.

Milling of feeds is out sourced by the feed company's to mills, and Cargill Mills many brand of feed....Not Just Nutrena. Contamination happens when a mill does not properly clean equipment after one run of feed to the next.

Personally I dont think that Monensin should be used in any feed and in some countries it is illegal. It should be Illegal in the US.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I lost two horses to this crap years back, should be banned from all feed, it is scary stuff.

8. BluemoonOKy

I'm not going to take cargills statement as anything other than damage control...cya...that's like trump saying we should trust him. I'll take independent lab results but look forward to the other tissue results.
    there should be zero of that monensin in their horse Feed. Or cow feed, for that matter.

D_BaldStockings and endurgirl like this.
  9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I've been inside the production areas of many feed mills, Cargill included.

Nothing surprises me.