NSC% of Brooks Feeds?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by nixalba, May 15, 2018.

1. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

Does anyone happen to have this information?
    Their website just says "controlled," "optimized," "reduced," etc.

I did email them- but wondering if it's already out there.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I have never been able to get a firm answer out of them, even in person - just generalities. Using their "very low" category that says 10% +/- for NSC, the only feed in that category is Fibre-Lite, which is high in digestible fibre and relatively low in fat at 3%.

gaitedboomer, Alsosusieq2 and nixalba like this.
  3. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

Alright- the only thing I got out of them is:
    "reduced" is 20% and under
    "controlled" is 20% to 25% sugar+starch

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It might not be entirely possible to give anything but something like that due to grains varying, even from pasture to pasture. You're going to get variables in the size of the grains themselves to moisture content, which affects weight and then skews the content on starch. They probably are fairly accurate, but to protect themselves for liability if it's slightly different, they include that less than etc in their wording. Grains vary, much like hay also depending upon the soil, probably weather also I'd imagine and season.

I myself would question companies that have exact figures. I'm not an ag consultant or a feed expert, but raised crops and our own hay. I may also be cutting them some slack as I'm not familiar with this brand. They may not be a huge company capable of absorbing costs for making changes and find this easiest.

Edited -

LeenieBean likes this.
  5. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Brooks is partnered with KER, so they certainly have considerable research and expertise behind them. In general, I think most people are looking at minimum or maximum levels of nutrient content in their feed, depending on what factors they need to control.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

was just looking at this yesterday. I'm putting my girl on flax appeal... which says "very low nsc"?? 20% protein 25% fat

7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

unless a feed is a fixed recipe they are unable to post the NSC because it constantly changes. If NSC is important feed a fixed recipe diet like Triple Crown.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

9. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

@LeenieBean
    Flax appeal is basically just stabilized ground flax- so it's naturally low in starches.

I'm not feeding an IR horse, but am trying to keep starch levels on the low side.
    He's an OTTB with poor feet. He's getting All Phase 20 and Brooks Senior for a few extra calories, but he's overall an easy keeper- had issues more with him being allowed to eat from the hay bale when he first got here- he has zero social skills. With summer, he now has free access to pasture, so he's not dropping weight as much.

He is not being ridden yet.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.