(Not so) Great Moments in Your Horsey History

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bellalou, Sep 19, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

A conversation about holding onto the saddle horn in another thread reminded me of this story and I thought it would be fun to share our embarrassing moments because who doesn't like to relive those times when they looked like a complete fool? :p

When I first learned to ride, I habitually grabbed the horn when I trotted or cantered. I generally rode with my dad and I wanted so badly to look like he did. So one day when we were cantering along a flat dirt road I decided I was going to go for broke and let go, and ride like a real cowgirl! I was maybe 9 or 10.

My dad was ahead of me, cantering along, straight back, relaxed in the saddle, NOT holding on to anything. I gathered my courage and took my hand off the horn.

I IMMEDIATELY lost my balance. :rofl:

I started slipping off to the side, lost at least one stirrup, grabbed frantically for the horn, and found myself cantering up the road, halfway off my horse, trying desperately to claw my way back into the saddle.

I must have looked hilarious.

Of course, all this was wasted on my dad, who couldn't see the drama playing out behind him. I managed to not fall off and, as the road wasn't all that long, he soon drew rein, I was able to right myself and by the time I caught up to him, I was once more in the saddle.

I don't think I mentioned any of it to him and it wasn't long after that when I found I was able to properly balance after all - I just needed to quit thinking about it and just do it. :rolleyes:

Okay, your turn! :D

magoo320mj likes this.
  2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Shortly after my parents purchased my first mare for me I decided I was a really good rider. I was 10 or 11 at the time and was completely over horsed and none of us had any horse experience. We relied on my instructor at the time (who btw sold us the horse that I wasn't ready for... but that's another story) and I felt pretty cool about the fact that I owned this awesome high strung Saddlebred.

Anyway... one day I was riding her inside and I decided that I would just take her for a stroll with my feet out of the stirrups. What could go wrong, right? I was a really really really good rider. Just then a bird flew up from the ground right in front of her and she spooked. I think she just side stepped, but at the time it felt like a really big spook. So I slid off, which spooked her again, and she ended up stepping on my thigh. My mom was in the barn, but didn't see any of this happen. So I just walked my mare back to the grooming stall and untacked her and acted like I was just done riding. Both my ego and my leg were bruised.
    I'm sure I have others that are funnier or more embarrassing... just can't think of any right now.

magoo320mj likes this.
  3. PennyV

PennyV Full Member

These are great! Our hubris is so often kept in check by these darn horses...
    I was 11 when I got my first horse and she was given to my trainer for me to trial for a month. She was a six year old high strung warmblood mare who was spooky and hot as heck. I fell in love with her immediately. Our very first interaction was me bringing her in from the run she'd been turned out in and her spooking and stomping on my foot. And then she leaned. She was so transfixed by whatever she'd seen that she completely ignored my small 11 year old self wailing on her in hopes of removing my foot out from under hers. After I freed myself I hobbled her into the barn and pretended nothing had happened. I had a great ride on her and loved her to bits. My trainer did too. As I really didn't want to ruin my mom's (read: person in charge of buying said horse) opinion of the mare I lied and told her I'd stubbed my toe and it was really sore. She helped me remove my boot and then sock to reveal my very, very broken toe.
    I never did tell her that Penny was the responsible party... And Penny turned out to be an absolute raging lunatic of a horse and that was not the last injury I would sustain at her hand/hoof. However I did learn an awful lot from her and she was a blast to ride!

magoo320mj and bellalou like this.
  4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Me at 12 yrs old jumping a horse named Star.

She was a lesson horse that had THE worst jump. I could NOT jump this horse. Instead of jumping in a bascule, she would bounce all four feet off the ground and basically throw herself over a jump.
    Then scramble on the off side landing to get her feet back.

My coach was determined to make me jump that day. I had to continue until I did it.

Well, I fell off 10 times over the same jump. I was mad as hell, but could NOT ride that jump. On the 11th approach, I threw myself forward. Wrapped my arms AND legs around her neck and went over the jump. She cantered around the ring and I was able to get back in the saddle.

Cue the cheering, lol.

I did it, but I never rode her again.

After that lesson my barn name was "Die Hard"! Lol

magoo320mj likes this.
  5. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

I fell off a TON when I was a kid. I just kept getting up and on again. I was riding a few TB’s over the years and I fell but got on Boy do I miss Judd and Leaper!! My TB ‘Beanie’ he was the one who taught me to Really ride!!! My trainer said if it weren’t for him I could have never ridden my 5 year old greenie. Anyone know what happened to Beanie??

6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

When I was a teen I was in 4-H and the county rodeo royalty. The second year I ran for queen I lost... and since I didn't care for the girl that won, I said I wouldn't be her attendant.

Well... shortly after the royalty competition we had our county horse show. I was there alone and getting ready for horsemanship. I was in a hurry and saddled up pretty quickly. I pulled the cinch up all the way and then put my bridle on. I never moved the horse away from the trailer. I hurriedly jumped on her, with her super tight cinch. She blew up straight into the air and fell over on top of me and then laid there like she was dead.... in front of the small town newspaper reporter who thought I was the new fair queen.

I was unhurt, except for my pride. The reporter was pretty shocked. I crawled out from under my horse, loosened the cinch, and she jumped right up. The breast collar was broken and one rein. My shirt was dirty, and my hat was effed up on one side of the brim. I resaddled, took my breast collar off, tried to fix my hat and rode off. I waved when I walked off.

I deserved the horse's protest. It was pretty rude of me to pull up a cinch like that and then just jump on. Thank goodness she waited to jump; if she'd had the halter on, it really would have been bad. She was tied to the trailer up to the point that I put the bridle on.

SOP for me now is to slowly tighten the cinch, and I never pull one tight with a horse tied. I also don't ride with a very tight cinch. Back then they were pretty darn snug... excessively snug.

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I was beyond cocky when I was about 7. I had had my own pony for a year already! I rode with friends pretty regular, we all met in the park and rode from there. I don't remember any parental supervision unless you count my sister who was 10. lol
    I had a friend with a spoiled pony and she did not like to ride him. I offered her my well-traveled pony and I, the supreme pony trainer, would ride hers and teach it how to behave.
    That pony ran away with me and, in an effort to go home, ran across the eight lane highway right outside of Waco, Tx. We got hit by a car because, 8 lanes of traffic! It was pretty mild, no broken bones and only a mild concussion because I landed on my head.
    An ambulance was called and, of course my sister called my mom and she caught up with the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I can still see my mom melt behind the steering wheel when the ambulance attendant asked me to sit up and look because he thought that had to be my mom tailgating the ambulance. I sat up and waved at her and she just melted. I am sure she thought I was all but dead since my sister wasn't very coherent when she called.
    I wish I had the note my mom wrote to school after I missed a couple of days with my sprained ankle from that incident. She is quite an artist so she drew a cartoon of me on my pony charging a car with a lance couched on my hip bone.

I have more of these stories than I should have. It is a wonder I survived my unsupervised learning about equines beginning with Midnite when I was only 6.

8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

You need to start a thread of your stories. Love them!!!!

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

This one wasn't actually mine but it's too good not to share.

My best friend and I were taking lessons when we were about 13 and our instructor had us trotting over a tiny crossrail, working on our 2-point.

My friend was riding a very savvy lesson horse, appropriately named Sassy, who would take advantage whenever she possibly could. My friend approached the jump, having gotten Sassy into a lumbering trot. Sassy slowed, got one front leg over, the other front leg over, hesitated...

and LAY DOWN on the jump! :rofl:

It was so funny - the slo-mo aspect of it was the best part.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Well, when I was a kid, I trained my stick horse to rear on command....

magoo320mj, equinitis and tlwidener like this.