Noseband Taper Gauge

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by NaeNae, May 16, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

No, my issue was the statement some horses NEED a noseband. Why do they NEED it?

Does the horse care if his head looks balanced? No. Sounds like the rider wants it.

I don't ride English, so i assume a standing martingales are used to keep a horse's head down (but barrel racers are bad mouthed for using tie downs which do the same thing). So does the horse NEED a standing martingale? No. Sounds like the rider needs it on the horse.

Helping hold the bridle in place. Hmmm... ok. I see many disciplines without nosebands and bridles manage to stay on. Maybe it's the way English bridles are made? But the horse doesn't NEED the bridle to stay on, the rider does.

And the other 2 bullet points pretty much go with my statement, to keep the mouth closed, which the rider NEEDS.

So, I've yet to see where the horse NEEDS a noseband. :D

-------------------
    A horse NEEDS nothing but nutrition, water, and oxygen, and medication when needed. The rest is to benefit the human.

I'm not a naturalist by any means, i slapped my blanket and saddle on Tex, but a short shank correction in his mouth and worked the mechanical cow to prepare for our horse show this weekend. Did my horse NEED to do that? No, the rider wanted it. That's merely my point. Idc what you ride your horse with, i'm sure some people can't stand the thought of western gear and those big ol heavy bits we hang on our horses mouths and yank on all day:rolleyes:. But i don't care, I've seen myself in tights, I'll stick to Wranglers. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::eek2::eek2:

Arem likes this.
  2. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

Back to the original topic of the thread. I think it's great to have a standard as "two fingers" can be a huge difference between two peoples fingers, my fingers are tiny for example and two of mine is about the same as one of some friends of mine.

Alsosusieq2, NaeNae, Arem and 2 others like this.
  3. txgray

txgray Senior Member

So, I bought a noseband taper gauge! It's a neat little tool. Not really sure what I need it for but I was curious about it so here we are. :ROFLMAO:

nosebandgauge1.jpg nosebandgauge2.jpg

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

You should let us know how accurate it is, if it is a realistic measuring device.

5. txgray

txgray Senior Member

It's the only thing that is an actual measureable standard, so in that way it's accurate by default. ;) But I had my nosebands adjusted to what was, to me, "2 fingers" of clearance, and the noseband taper gauge agrees with me.