Noseband Taper Gauge

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by NaeNae, May 16, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

This study is really maddening. 44% of the nosebands tightened so much that the device could not be pushed between noseband and face.
    44% of riders are okay with their horses suffering. I want to make them feel sonerhing similar for the same amount of time they subjected their horses to it.
    Sad, disheartening hut to me, not really surprising. If you can see it on tv without slo mo or pausing, it is truly bad.

Alsosusieq2 and NaeNae like this.
  2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I thought that was probably what you were getting at, I just wanted to be clear that I was in no way agreeing/trying to prove SLC right.

Arem and NaeNae like this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

@slc one more time, I am actually interested to hear how the noseband diflects pressure from other parts of the headstall. Can you please respond and explain?

Arem and mooselady like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Darn ginster, that's disheartening for certain. I see it all the time though. Things will change stat on this, finally.

ginster likes this.
  5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@txgray has a really informative post on this issue in her blog...

Jest sayin

ginster likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Hang on, let me google that for you.

Arem, CabterCrazy and NaeNae like this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

She’s ignoring me because she knows she has no way to prove any of her claims.

harli36 and Arem like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I didn't see this until now.

Why does the caveson do that? Because it does. This has been proven by using gauges that measure rein tension - Clayton did the research.

Caveson off? Rein tension is more. Caveson on? Rein tension, same horse and rider and bit, etc, rein tension is less.

I have also experienced it myself for many years - I really dislike riding a horse without a caveson because it changes the feel of the contact so much. You can FEEL the caveson having that effect. Caveson off, the rein contact is firmer. Caveson on? Lighter.

I think the first time I felt that I was about 12 years old. My pony had a cut on his face from turnout. Took the caveson off the bridle and rode. Oh Em Gee, what a difference.

And it is a very, very, very basic concept in dressage. It's basically why cavesons are used the way they're used in dressage, and been that way for hundreds of years.

IN FACT, long ago, traditionally, horses were started in a caveson.

I'd go get you a link to the research, but you'd just say the study was wrong...lol. It's your effort to create conflict, not a real desire for information.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

No please link, it isn't a game, it is just that I for one cannot understand how a cavesson changes any pressure from any other part of the bridle....

ginster and NaeNae like this.
  10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Took you days to reply and you “didn’t see this until now” is a flat lie. We all get the notifications. You were commenting on many other posts, you’d get notifications for this too.

I asked you to explain. Break down in ANY mechanical way, HOW the cavesson distributes any pressure from any other part of the bridle and you still can’t even do that. When google falls short, you can’t explain it because you simply don’t know. “It just does from my experience” isn’t explaining it.

I’m genuinely curious. I know the mechanics of bits. And headstalls. And reins. But would like to be educated on HOW a cavesson which is NOT connected to the bit at all, distributes pressure. I’d really like this explained to me.

bellalou, Arem and mooselady like this.