Noseband Taper Gauge

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by NaeNae, May 16, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Agreed. Any horse that might have an issue with this is probably a horse that would take issue with a noseband too.

ginster likes this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Or with the pony club taught measure of shoving a finger under the band to check fit....

3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Why does a horse "need" a snug noseband?

Arem and froglander like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I explained that in an earlier post. The caveson, if snug, transfers pressure to the nose. The more different points pressure is transferred to, the more refined and agreeable the communication is. Each horse is different too. They each have their own mix of distribution that they prefer.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well that's a new take on it...which strange area of Google turned that one up?

ILuvMyAppyQH, Arem and palimino57 like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I like it.
    Now they need to come up with somethin gto measure the tightness of flashes. Or forbid them in showing.
    This looks a bit too cumbersome to get underneath the chin to measure and the side of the face is no good to judge by, as the video showed.
    Horses who object to it just need some desensitizing imo.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Hmm..need to watch the video. Seems like a start at least, but it does look like it might not be great except for the obvious.. loose nosebands being accepted.

8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

The first picture only shows it fitted and being used on a two finger clearance, which is quite loose. Watch the video, it shows 1 fingers as opposed to not fitting in at all. Definitely seems like good gauge.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I have never heard this use of a nose band. Never.

I have no opinion real on the device but am all for a consistent and uniform way to measure the fit of a nose band.

Arem likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

And since you have never heard of it, it can't possibly exist or work that way?

I never heard of neuronal death in autism til today, and that DEFINITELY went on for a VERY long time without my knowing about it.

In fact this sort of thing is old hat and has been a common practice for hundreds of years and is very well documented, even by recent research, it just is not found in your style of riding.

In fact it is 'so very true' that I really do not like to ride a horse without a caveson at all.

equinitis: I have never heard this use of a nose band. Never.