Noseband Taper Gauge

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by NaeNae, May 16, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Remit Submitted to Ban Tight Nosebands in New Zealand

Interesting article on noseband tightness in dressage from New Zealand. Mentions the use of a tapering gauge to gauge tightness maybe being introduced. (picture below)

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

I think something like this could definitely be a great way to universally start some sort of change in the industry, though as always it needs to come from the judges which is where things seem to sometimes hit a wall due to "the way of things".

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

be good to have a clear standard with the gauge - probably a lot easier for the stewards to enforce when it's a "yes' or "no" period

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It makes perfect sense to me, if you are going to have rules, need a measure to enforce them...and we do need the rules, hate to see nose bands cranked in that far.

NaeNae likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I am not against snug nosebands, some horses need them. I'm against them being more than snug.

5. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

No one said snug nosebands aren't needed. We are talking about them being TOO tight. Actually we aren't even talking about them being too tight. We are talking about a device that might be able to measure and standardize noseband tightness to stop nosebands being allowed to be too tight.

Do you have an opinion on the DEVICE?

Arem and mooselady like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Hang on, let me ask Google what I think...

Arem, CabterCrazy, Loona and 2 others like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Sigh.

That is my opinion on the device. That because of its design, it does not differentiate between snug and excessively tight, which to me, is important.

That is why I was discussing the difference between 'snug' and 'excessively tight.'

To me, the device looks like it would designate any noseband that is not floppy loose, as too tight.

The entire point of the noseband is to distribute some pressure to the nose and the higher position on the underside of the lower jaw, so there is less pressure on any one point. A bridle that distributes pressure to nose, chin, lips, bars, etc, is more agreeable to horses and allows for much more refinement of the aids.

The noseband can't do that unless it's somewhat snug. This device looks like it will fault any noseband that isn't floppy loose.

Additionally, I think many horses would object to it being pushed under the noseband at that location, on top of the face. Especially if the noseband is anywhere from just snugged up to excessively tight.

I would prefer that a device measure the tension on the noseband from the sides, where there is generally a gap between the face and the caveson, and the device does not have to be PUSHED under the caveson.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I looked it up more, there is a video.

I actually like this. The video shows it more.

Arem and StraightandTrue like this.
  9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

It's a simple tool, that looks fool proof. I seriously doubt it would cause issues with the horses.

I would have no problem with an official at a show checking my tack. Honestly a legal tack check should be done before each horse enters the ring.

Arem, ginster and NaeNae like this.