Non Fading Black Genetics

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Broken A Ranch, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Broken A Ranch

Broken A Ranch Senior Member+

Can someone explain this to me? I keep hearing about non fading black horses which I assumed were homozygous black horses, but I am now thinking I assumed incorrectly and its something all together different.

Help??

2. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

Both heterozygous and homozygous blacks can either fade or not fade. It may well be a genetic factor, but if it is we don't know what it is yet.

3. frisco17

frisco17 Senior Member+

IME the TRUE blacks tends to be the blue/black hue to their coats while your fading ones are the brown/black.

4. Broken A Ranch

hmmm ok but how can you tell for certain? Is there some sort of test that would indicate it.. or is it at best a good guess when you buy a horse

5. 7DS

7DS Senior Member+

Non fading black is the same on at least a "simple" genetic level as fading black. People don't tend to think of a black animal logically as being able to lack pigment, but fading black is black with poor pigment density. Like ACC said though, if there's a genetic factor behind it (and I'm personally sure there is), we don't know what or where the modifiers are. No, there's no test for "fading" vs. "non fading."

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If the horse is E?aa, he is a true black whether he fades or not.

My horse is a fading black, but his new Spring and Fall coats, pre-fading, are very blue-black.

7. Broken A Ranch

So if someone is stating solidly in a sale ad True Non Fading Black there really isnt anything to back that up right, because you can always create a non faded black with UV protection/pigment supplements etc. My one B/W Filly faaaades big time, but I don't know about the new one yet since I havent owned her through the seasons.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

You can't *always* prevent a black from fading unless he never sees daylight :)

9. Broken A Ranch

Good point LOL

10. Faithfully_Lost

Faithfully_Lost Senior Member+

So, it would mean the best way to test whether the horse is fading black or not would be to leave it in the sunlight and see if it fades to a brown hue or remains black in appearance.

I believe I heard somewhere that some breeds [Akhal Teke maybe?] call an non-fading black 'electric' black.