Non-bute Arthritis Supplements?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CautionWetPaint, May 11, 2018.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I have a mare that we are retiring from show due to arthritis in her shoulder. She has been comfortable and sound in pasture, and sound for light riding occasionally with a little bute . Recently though I have noticed she is starting to limp around a little in the pasture at the trot. She still runs with the best of them and is a very happy mare.
    I have not been giving her any sort of pain medication for the arthritis on a daily basis. I had been trying to hold off since she wasn't showing signs, but now that shes is, I feel I need to start giving her a little something. The bute works perfectly, but I do not want to use it as a long term solution for fear of what it will do to the poor girls stomach!
    So what supplements would you all recommend? I will be asking my vet as well, but thought I would get your input.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

3. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

I’ve used turmeric and pepper with my mares coolstance as an antinflamatory - it helps but doesn’t keep her 100% sound

I LOVE actiflex 4000 with added msm I found it gave my my best bang for my buck - right now it’s just not in the budget. Have other things currently more important (human baby on the way)

So with how she does on the turmeric and pepper mix I am ok with her current workload (next to nothing) and how she looks day to day. She’s comfortable and happy - that’s my biggest concern.

It’s also not a cure all and won’t work with every horse.

Alsosusieq2 and CautionWetPaint like this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I have a gelding who's estimated to be almost 50, besides just old age arthritis, he injured his hock a few years ago and was hitchy trotting in the pasture (he's been retired for about 12 years) and having trouble standing for the farrier. A few year ago I started him on Hyaluronic Acid supplement(I use this one because its affordable and it works great 4 Pk Hyaluronic Acid 200mg Max Strength + 100=3x Stronger 720 Caps Quality USA | eBay )a week or 2 after I started him on it I noticed he was moving much better in the pasture, and since he's been on it he's been able to stand for the farrier with no problems, even the farrier was amazed be the results! I make sure I always have plenty on hand because I never want to run out. I also have my mare on it because she's 21, but because she doesn't have any issues, I haven't seen a real difference, I figured it may help keep her moving better.

5. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

4Cyte is amazing.

6. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I have had good luck with Devil's Claw, which my vet recommended trying. Noticed a difference within a few days. The mare I use it on is 26 and it has been excellent for her.

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Previcox (prescription needed), works really well and doesn't have the gastric side effects that bute has.

8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Buteless and msm and turmeric to start. Previcox later one.

LoveTrail likes this.
  9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Off topic, I know, but your almost 50 year old horse needs a thread of his own. How cool!!!!

LoveTrail and ginster like this.
  10. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Iirc (not being mean) you cannot mix turmeric and msm as turmeric can act as a blood thinner... MSM also has similar properties... I’ll look it up again but there was a list of interactions between Turmeric and commonly used supplements