1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured No good deed...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bellalou, Jan 23, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Day before yesterday, one of the women at the barn had a bad fall and hit her head hard on the pavement. I still haven't heard how she's doing. :(

She was riding a horse for a friend who was sick. The horse is a 5-year-old Haffie and he's known to be a little rat. The woman who bought him got him out of state and I personally think she was lied to about his training. He's too much horse for her and of course he's strong. He's gotten her off a few times now and has learned he can get away with it. [side note - I've always felt the old axiom that you need to get right back on after a fall was not so much to keep yourself from losing your nerve but to let the horse know "we don't do that!"]

Anyway, this other woman who is quite experienced offered to ride him. He took off with her and before she could get him under control, he threw her. I wasn't there so I don't know all the details but she landed hard and hit her head. Not sure if she was wearing a helmet but I imagine she was.

But this is why I didn't ask anyone to ride Bella while I was gone. Bella is not anything like that horse but she can be a handful when the weather is crisp and she hasn't gotten out much. I would just feel horrible if someone got hurt on my horse while doing me a favor.

It's also why I would never offer to ride someone else's problem horse. I'm not a trainer. I'll ride my own problem horse without a thought and if I get hurt - well, it's my horse. But I'll be darned if I'm going to risk my neck on someone else's fool animal and then not be able to ride my own.

The horse needs to go to a trainer in my opinion. And I really hope the rider is okay. I do think she was foolish to get on him and I think the owner was irresponsible letting her. It's just a sad situation.

Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Haffys are rotten! Lol apart from the big fall off Big Ben, I got dumped so often off the cute Haffy.

Hope she is OK, I second sending the boy out to a trainer, they are smart and once they think they have won, they can be a nightmare

3. slc

slc Senior Member

The wisest thing you can do is not let anyone else ride your horse, no matter how well-trained he is.

And I now don't ride other horses, either. Same reason.

4. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

That's scary! I agree, I won't offer to ride anyone else's horse to work out their kinks. I'm not a professional and I have a family I need to go home to.

doublelranch likes this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I hope she feels better soon!
    Haffies can be stubborn and like most other horses they know how to get out of work.
    I hope the one in question goes to a trainer to learn better manners.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Well this is a side of Haflingers no seller has shared with me....

manesntails likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

What was the situation with the Haflinger that was dumping you off all the time?

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

She was an ARSE! To be fair she is now with an owner who only drives and I think she is happier, she was a beautiful mare, but the fact that she had 9 owners in 7 years might tell you that she wasn't the best buy for a nervous novice.....

Then there is also the fact that that I found out very quickly that small round ponies, while closer to the ground are so much easier to fall off of, there is nothing in front, they just disappear on you!

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I have a Haflinger x pony (noooo idea what the x is) who is THE most honest equine I have ever met in my life. Must be whatever he's crossed with coming out. ;)

@bellalou hope your fellow barn mate heals quickly.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Don't get me wrong there are some really nice Haffies out there, just not all of them.