Night Lights for horses... should you use one??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by paval, Oct 23, 2018.

1. paval

paval Senior Member

Did anyone else see this come across their Facebook page from Handy Hay Nets?
    I keep an amber 25W LED light on at night in the aisle. Wonder if I should really rethink that after reading this. It really only throws a very dim light, but enough you can see where stall walls are.

"Did you know that:
    Horses don’t do well with night lights. They need complete darkness to produce equine growth hormone (EGH). Equine growth hormone helps maintain muscle, and bone mass promotes the healing of injuries and metabolizes fat cells and carbohydrates. A deficiency of equine growth hormone will also result in fatigue, depression, and sluggish brain function. So remember to turn off those barnyard lights at night."

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I would question that - how often is it complete darkness out in nature? I think a dim night light would be on par with moonlight. Full spectrum light does have an effect (hence using it to control coat growth and mares cycling), but a night light I think would be fine.

NaeNae, Arem and paval like this.
  3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Hmmm I'd have to agree with @sherian.
    I dont have a night light in my barn, but the stalls also open up to runs so there is always natural moonlight coming in the barn. If my barn was completely shut though I would probably use a small light.

paval likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The Moon is only full, or close to it, for a few days in it's cycle. Some of the time the moon is in total darkness, so there might be something to it that a light all the time might be detrimental.

I've never heard of this. We didn't keep a light on; the switch was right at the door if you needed light.

paval likes this.
  5. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Wasn't there a study where horses were taught how to turn on a light in their stall (no reward but the light being on) Some would turn on the light every night,some only sometimes and some would turn it off if someone turned it on

6. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

After nearly grabbing a coon, thinking it was my favorite fatso barn tabby, I keep a nightlight on. Weird crap is always happening to me and I'd rather not have "ended up getting a rabies series because she tried cuddling a coon" on the list. Lol

7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

not so weird @reicheru - I have done that too

paval likes this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

My neighbor picked up a baby skunk and carried it all the way up to the top of the stairway, thinking it was her black and white kitten, because the light on the porch was out.
    :LOL:

Then she had to carry it back down. :confused: :ROFLMAO:

9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I've always had a dusk til dawn light where my horses are kept. The light isn't harsh, but it's not pitch black out there either. I also have a nightlight in the barn. I could see genuine BRIGHT light 24/7 causing problems for horses, but I doubt dim light has any effect. Sounds like pseudo science to me.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Lights attract mosquitoes, so we absolutely do not leave any lights on.

Except....when we were trying to get my mare to start ovulating. And in that case, it was in the winter and spring so insects were not a concern. Plus we had 8 hours a night with the lights off.

I think that artificial light is very different from moonlight, but I also think that moonlight causes horses to be more restless and anxious than dark nights.

I also believe that horses need a break every night from artificial light. I think that horses that have a safe dark barn to sleep in really benefit.

Humans certainly do. I definitely do not benefit from working late with the lights on, I don't think any humans do. People tend to come up with incredibly ill-advised 'solutions' when they work late with the lights on. More collaborative work done with a decent amount of sleep and three square meals a day, does appear to be better quality.

paval likes this.