Nexium Treatment

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 15, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I feel like since starting treatment, Henry looks less bloated. I remember previously thinking to myself if he has parasite problems (still not clear on what the routine is, following barn protocol). Am I seeing things? Is it even relevant?
    See for yourself.
    December 8th
    24D74DB6-2E2C-4F56-B494-16F4230A4398.jpeg
    Today, day 4 of treatment.
    02FA28E9-4903-4783-9E4E-32CB7EADDCBF.jpeg

2. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Completely different angle so hard to tell. But it’s good he’s happier under saddle.

ginster likes this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

He looks a little tucked in the flank on the first, which is a sign of ulcers. It looks like his flank has loosened in the second.

Same thing happened for my gelding.

4. CarlisleChipper

5. CarlisleChipper

Checking in 10 days post first dose. Completely different under saddle, really responsive to my leg and quick to move. Not a fire ball on the jump course anymore either. He is controllable and no longer dull. If that makes sense. No more pinning ears trying to bite my leg while under saddle. Still touchy with his neck area during grooming, but then also leans into it like it feels good to him. :rolleyez:

MzCarol, ginster, DelP and 1 other person like this.
  6. CarlisleChipper

Henry is nearing the end of his nexium treatment. I did 30 days of 3 capsules a day, the 2 weeks of 2, and then 2 weeks of 1. I have chosen to maintain his gut health with Smart Gut Ultra because of its antacid ingredients that are higher than the ugard pellets. I also have him on Equine Omega Complete. I’m not sure if I mentioned on this thread or not but I’ve also been feeding him his daily alfalfa flake in the trailer if we haul out because the alfalfa serves as a buffer.

All in all I highly recommend this treatment. Henry went from very poor behavior and work ethic associated with pain to becoming a solid citizen that gives his best efforts. Before, every time I applied my leg he would lift his back and turn to nip at my toes under saddle. He would pin his ears and threaten to bite when I groomed him. He would rush all jumping efforts and be near uncontrollable. I knew this wasn’t him, because it was new behavior. I have my horse back. And it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg!

If ever you use the adjective “sour” to describe your horse, you may want to treat for ulcers.

doublelranch, LoveTrail and ginster like this.