Nexium Treatment

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 15, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Finally made the plunge and gave Henry his first dose of Nexium today. 60mg in capsules. Plan to do this once a day for 4 weeks.

He has been demonstrating very sour behavior for the last several weeks which has otherwise been uncharacteristic of him. We addressed saddle fit, soundness, dental, checked tack for sand spurs. The only change to the tack we made was ditching the neoprene girth that pulled his long winter coat and bunches up. Some improvement there.

The original problem was him turning around to bite my feet when riding. My driving seat hasn’t helped the issue but now I am addressing that too. He has shown improvement with adjustment of my seat and forward aids. Even with these improvements he has gotten worse. He does not enjoy being groomed anymore and pins his ears and threatens to bite. Even with soft brushes. He is a thoroughbred with thick skin so the stiff brushes never bothered him before.

He is just in general very crabby and sour. Once we get going he is fine. At home in the pasture he is fine. He is fine to trailer, but I know this is a major source of stress for horses and we trailer 3-5 times a week. He had a major trailer accident in September and In October. (Different trailer now, much happier).

He gets free choice coastal hay, clean water, a serving of soaked alfalfa pellets with nutrimix plus, and some beet pulp. Started the beet pulp today because the nutrimix isn’t very palatable. He was previously on platinum performance and dumor. He is an extremely easy keeper and requires no grain. He also gets a flake of alfalfa once a day. He has friends. Although he is separated by a fence line now because introductions were done improperly so now I’m doing it all over again.

So after addressing all I can I’m going to treat for ulcers using this method that people have used successfully before.

7F654067-B87A-4941-A5A6-6FAC10846A31.jpeg C8B80493-FA2A-4063-A49D-3B181204E499.jpeg 74159F89-4E55-49F8-B69E-9401EBFDEBF2.jpeg 82112793-E17A-46BC-867B-E18AC0A112C6.jpeg

2. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I had a saddle fitter tell me to never use neoprene on a gray horse. The hair shaft has little microscopic barbs on it it that stick like crazy to neoprene. Not sure if that's true, but I have never used it again beside SMBs.

Good luck with the Nexium. I have used the generic esomeprazole to save even more money.

3. CarlisleChipper

Wow! I have never heard of that before! That’s crazy. I wonder if saddle pads can do that too, like regular saddle pads not neoprene ones.

I was going to buy generic but the grocery store was clean out. Is there a reason we don’t use regular omeprazole? What’s the difference? I feel like as a nurse I should know this. But I only ever hand out Zantac and Pepcid at work so.

4. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Slow down with your horse.
    Just because you are changing things around doesn't mean your horse's behaviour will change at the same time.
    Give him time and have him fully be ok with 1 thing at the time.
    2 major trailer accidents are not just forgotten because there is now a new trailer.
    The neoprene girth still hurts even with a new girth.
    The stomach still hurts even with the medication.
    The grooming still hurts even with a softer brush.
    Your constant driving seat still will be there for him to worry about.
    Your seat ready for a possible buck still makes him uncomfortable even if you are aware.
    The buddy next is great but he is still lonely.
    Nothing will change for him as he first has to learn to understand that nothing will happen the way he worries it will happen.
    Horse learn by conditioning,meaning he associates any girth right with discomfort,any brushing he expects it to hurt.
    So give him the time and patience to relearn positive association 1 at the time for however long it takes.
    Does that make any sense ?

5. CarlisleChipper

No it doesn’t make sense. Why would I go slow with trying to make my horse comfortable? I am addressing things and fixing them as quickly as I learn about them in order to make him comfortable. Why would I take my time with that? I never said I expected immediate results. But I’m not just going to let it go.

This is all relatively new behavior. It’s not like he has gone years with me making him uncomfortable.

Even when the girth caused pain he never was “girthy” in the typical way horses that don’t like the girth respond. Never an issue to put the girth on.
    It was never an issue to be brushed either up until very very recently. Literally last week he started showing discomfort with brushes.

I also never said he has or will forget the trailer accident. He never will. But he loads and trailers perfectly despite the negative experience and YES that is because I have a different trailer.

When I talk about improvements here and there it’s because he is learning that it is ok and won’t be uncomfortable. So yes I do understand that he needs to understand and trust and heal from physical discomfort. But going slow when attempting to fix his issues will only prolong him being sour. I want to make him happy and comfortable as soon as I can.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Exactly my point.What I'm trying to say is that even with all the changes which are great you won't see immediate changes in your horse.

7. CarlisleChipper

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Hopefully he´ll feel better soon with the Nexium.
    When was the chiro out last?
    Is there any chance that your driving seat is causing him back pain? Is he reactive there at all?

9. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Burnout is always on my mind when a horse demonstrates sour behavior. If you've done everything humanly possible to address physical issues, this might be something to consider especially if the Nexium doesn't change anything for you.

ginster likes this.
  10. CarlisleChipper

Took him to the chiro which is his vet 6 weeks ago ish. Vet said he is *not* back sore whatsoever. She said that’s a rarity for her to see. And his back continues not to be reactive.

It has been said before that he has very poor work ethic. ;-)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    ginster likes this.