New Zealand tragedy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Yes there is racism, shock horror all people of all colours experience it, here and around the world.
    But yesterday was something much more than what happens in this country, gun violence in New Zealand is rare but seems to be increasing. I'm hoping our government tightens the gun laws to make it harder for copycats.
    Because stuff like this is NOT New Zealand whatever you may think.

Alsosusieq2, ginster and mooselady like this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What I mean is that we are seeing the radicalization of the ultra right wing/ neo nazi groups all over the world. They have been getting more and more secure in their way of thinking and that it is acceptable to think like that. And they have been getting more and more violent.
    Maybe because the rest of us are not opposing them loud enough, viciously enough? The slogan "Make Nazis afraid again" comes to mind.
    Yes, a hate crime on that scale isn't the norm for NZ (thankfully). It isn't for Germany either. I still fear it will happen in my country sooner or later. And I fear we will be seeing terrorist attacks like these more frequently if we do not stop this slide to the right. And no, I don't have a solution.

I do hope that tighter gun laws will prevent anything similar from happening in NZ ever again.

I heard that there were bombs at the two attackers' vehicles which the police managed to disarm before they could cause even more devastation.
    I am hoping and praying to the powers that be that nobody decides to copycat this....

Alsosusieq2 and Pirate like this.
  3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I continue to be deeply horrified that people across the world are being gunned down why they pray. Or go to school. Or go to the movie theater.
    As a mental health professional, and specifically one who works with college students who are the kids that grew up knowing no other world, I never have to run out of reasons as to why anxiety and depression run so rampant.

ginster likes this.
  4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

This was posted on a local news site about the shootings.

Statement from a senator in Queensland.

Attached Files:

5. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

The irony is the only problem migrant yesterday was an Australian bringing his hate here.

Baboo, NaeNae, Loona and 1 other person like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I just saw some of the comment section under a news article about this attack from India. Breaks my heart to read the hate spewing forth. How muslims in India should be thankful they have it so good. Many were congratulating NZ on their "success". Makes my heart heavy. .

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

There was more than one though, right? I heard about the Australian as well but they have 3 or 4 other suspects in custody? And there were shootings at 2 different mosques so it had to be at least 2..

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Wow...

NaeNae likes this.
  9. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Have heard 3 or 4 arrested, a raid on a house in Dunedin overnight.
    Multiple events cancelled today which has caused some self-centered sooking from individuals.
    Some of those killed were Syrian refugees. They should have been safe here.

ginster likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, you're 100% accurate. This is unfortunately true. It's hard for people to see in a way, but connect the dots, it's spread everywhere. I really don't know, Bannon's campaign etc hasn't helped, but I think a lot of it is people's fears of the other and the very real immigration problems. Hey, the government knew this would happen years ago in extrapolated studies. They really do have think tanks that put out worst case scenarios due to climate change / political reasons. The reaction though to swing right wing is extremist bs, especially right now. Tired of the fear and hate.