New Zealand tragedy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

A white supremist targeted a Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand tonight. It was live streamed from a camera he was wearing and he left a manifesto to this sickening horror.

I have a hard time recuperating after reading and seeing the footage. I can't imagine that kind of hatred and cruelty.

On that note, my whole body hurts and head from tension and despair. Everyone is saying don't watch the video, but I honestly am tired of people burying their heads in the sand. This is what hate rhetoric inspires, this unfortunately illustrates the heartless feeling towards others. I think if you have any doubt that nationalism or what we've been talking about for awhile was off base, you wouldn't after seeing this. It's callous, efficient and searingly hateful. You see children down, repeatedly shot in the body and back. It's hate.

Don't even think for one second it doesn't exist here in America. Our very own POTUS retweeted Breitbart at ten pm as a sign of his caring, it's actually staggering in its implications.

I just can't understand, there's so much disinformation and ignorance abounding here in the world, it's exhausting.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    ginster likes this.
  2. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

I'm in shock. Waiting for family in Christchurch to check in. This is not New Zealand.
    Four have been arrested, schools are still in lockdown as are hospitals.
    Just watching the news and crying this is the worst.
    5138.jpg

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Very very sad, my thoughts are with those who have lost family members to hate.

Pirate likes this.
  4. Loona

Loona Full Member

I have no words for this...:cry::cry::cry:

5. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

40 confirmed dead according to news :'(

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Unfortunately 49 now and 20 critically wounded. Chills all over. Bed, now, long and awful day.

7. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Hopefully doesn't go higher.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I disagree. This is New Zealand. Racism is a big factor in New Zealand, Australia, America and Europe. We shouldn't deny that it is.
    I have read threads about the everyday racism poc experience in NZ or Australia and they're just as shocking as similar threads from european or american poc...

slc likes this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I read about this morning, leaves me pretty speechless. The fact that he livestreamed it....and to think that there were people watching who cheered him on?? Chilling.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I don’t know New Zealand, so I’m guessing here. We can’t deny that racism is everywhere, sadly that is true. What I think is different is someone acting in that hate in this manner. There are countries in the world where mass shootings are common place. There are countries in the world where they are not, and New Zealand is part of the latter group.

shaiarabs likes this.