1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

New study says if you want to age well, challenge yourself in many ways

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Jan 10, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Im all for Use it or Lose it, but challenging to the point of Frustration and Beyond can actually be counter productive. Sure if you succeed its great, but a mental or physical overmount can be discouraging, even dangerous depending on how far the unready participant is "pushed". Work up and push the envelope, try something new, different, but be Smart about it. The Adverse effects are potentially Disastrous. it means starting ALll over, from beyond scratch.. BTDT not much fun...:confused:
    In short, do stuff that's difficult. Challenge yourself, and keep challenging yourself until you encounter enormous frustration. And then push on through that frustration and try some more.
    Whether you actually achieve your objective isn't the point--the point is to push yourself just a little beyond your limits. In other words, get outside your comfort zone. Strangely, it doesn't seem to matter whether the limits you push are mental or physical. Both strenuous physical effort, such as a challenging hike, or strenuous mental effort, such as mastering a difficult math equation, will do the trick.

sorrell likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

We accomplishing this daily on HGS.

No further exercise required.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

roflol..choke..ahem.

roflol..ahem, giggle!! :)

5. slc

slc Senior Member

That's not what this study says. They examined 'superagers' and reported how they were using their brains.

This is not about unready participants, anyway, the point is that superagers choose to do this and they relish it and that is what characterizes their brains. That they are constantly pushing the envelope.

And actually, I really don't think that learning a foreign language or a new musical instrument really has the potential to be ''Disastrous'' and "Adverse". Sticking with it isn't really going to cause some kind of permanent mental damage. I bought a musical instrument last year and it's been a riot trying to learn it. I just don't give up on it. Similarly, I'm learning a new language. It's not easy, I'm as old as dirt, but I'm still learning it. And I love it.

I think you're somehow relating it to something completely different that it has nothing to do with. Like "Saw III" the movie.

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

The highlighted part is directly out of the article. Deglossed the bolds are the "scary parts." Its not just learning, language or instrument, it the Frustrate, Frustrate More, and Success Optional I find worriesome/ objectionable.
    A person Determined to impress or succeed can actually, accidentally push Too hard.
    There Is such a thing as Too Much stress. Everybodys breaking point is different.
    Learning French or French Horn may not be the scenario that causes many people to snap.
    Maybe it has to be experienced to be realized (not recommended.)
    The More/Better/Faster, or Try Harder/fail/ Try Harder platitudes can actually turn into dangerous scenarios, pushed Too far.
    When your engine is smoking, driving faster to get the fumes/ cloud behind you doesnt make Anything better. At best you pull over before the crash& burn.

manesntails likes this.