New ordinance from city. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by meljean, Dec 18, 2014.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Got this in mail yesterday, sent out to everyone in this town.

But it is to address the people who are keeping farm animals in the town, in less than stellar conditions usually.
    100_3155.jpg
    100_3156.jpg
    100_3157.jpg

100_3158.jpg
    100_3159.jpg

But wanted to see what you all thought about this.

My main question, is there no minimum requirement for amount of land you would have to have, nor manure removal? Or fly control? Some have it in there, such as swine, and cattle has a size requirement, but not horses?

Anything else sticking out for you? Equine part is on the 4th page.

2. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

The lack of land requirement and manure removal are puzzling. And minimum 50 gallon water tub for one horse?

4 people like this.
  3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

50 gallon water tank? What about in winter when that 50 gallon water tank will be useless? We use a five gallon rubber bucket in the winter for our one horse and he doesn't even finish that. We use the rubber since we can hit it with a baseball bat when it freezes and we don't break the bucket.

I understand what and why they are doing what they are doing but I really wish at least they would proofread their laws. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Exactly the same thing I wondered....50 gallons won't even float a heater well here. And they also left out that the horses MUST have water heater in tank too, as well as other animals should also.

I've got a 50x120 foot lot here, according to this, I could keep a horse if could get permit.

And what's up with the welded wire for new fence being a no no...I will have to take photos of this town, keep threatening to do so, but hadn't yet.

Not to mention left out animals must be fed and vetted and UTD on shots too.

5. TLFC

TLFC Senior Member

Some of it makes good sense and other parts of it just leaves me shaking my head.

Now, will this be like other things in your area. They pass the law but don't enforce it?

2 people like this.
  6. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Why? We've never used water heaters here in NY and I know many even further north in colder areas who never have either.

7. SlewsMissy

SlewsMissy Senior Member

I think they will have to go back and rethink this after awhile. With no minimum amount of land written for horses anyone could go get one and throw it in their backyard. I'm also confused about the rabbit part. So you would have to get a special permit to get a pet rabbit according to this? I think here a rabbit is considered a pet just like a dog or cat. It also seem a little weird that you would need a permit for chickens. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota ( so very large city) and people all over the city have chickens and don't need a permit. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with these ordinances.

1 person likes this.
  8. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

A pet rabbit in the house would be a different story, this is to address people who have taken to micro farming and raising livestock within city limits--so outdoor hutches.

The water thing still has me scratching my head, for two horses I use a 20 gallon tub, and heated 5 gallon buckets in the winter. Granted they are filled twice a day, more if needed, but the hassle of a 50 gallon tub for one horse?!

1 person likes this.
  9. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

This sounds like a thin excuse for someone wanting to get their way. Last time I checked, it's completely passible to live on a farm that is in a town. And living beside or near a farm does not exclude you from a town.

Is there some rich person in your town paying most of the taxes who happens to dislike livestock? That's the best explanation I can see for all this malarkey.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

working for a city, I see good points and a lot of "What the..."

Minimum size lot should definitely be included in each section. I work for a City now that does not have any lots large enough, so we don't allow anything besides chickens on a Conditional Use Permit.

The Township I worked previously had some rural areas and we required a minimum of 3 acres for one horse, and an additional acre for each additional horse. A person COULD request a conditional use permit to have them on less. That required a $250 payment, a public hearing held (all land owners within 500 feet of property received a notice in the mail, it was published in the paper) at the Planning Commission level. Various conditions would be put on the permit if approved that would cover manure removal requirements, how man allowed, etc. If those conditions are not followed, the CUP can be revoked.