New eventing prospect

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Malinois&OTTB, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Malinois&OTTB

Malinois&OTTB Full Member

aFlamingAngel and Sky Cloud like this.
  2. Malinois&OTTB

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

He's cute. I like how heavy he's built. Did you do a PPE? I would get him worked on by chiro/massage asap. He doesn't look comfortable. A lot off the track have SI issues that need taken care of before asking them to work. And he def needs a good trim/shoe job. Geeze oh man those feet are long. I think with a good shoe job his pastern angles will improve a lot.

kodemiester and Malinois&OTTB like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Did you have a. PPE done?

Malinois&OTTB likes this.
  5. Malinois&OTTB

No a PPE wasn't done. But even if something limits him he will live here with me happily.
    I'll have the vet out as soon as he's home and schedule a chrio and farrier out. I am cert massage therapist so I got that handled ;)

emali06 and ibsammy like this.
  6. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

I'm really not a fan of that jog out-- something looks very off. I'd like to see him working on a lunge before I'd think about buying him. Right now it'd be a no from me, but you may love him immediately. He does have a cute face.
    Pasterns need to be taken care of, definitely. Even with correct shoeing, they're still a little long for my liking. Cannons are a bit long for me too... long pasterns and cannons and I worry about how they'll end up jumping and going xc.
    Muscling across the whole hind end is very uneven, especially top of the hips and the gaskins. Pretty common in OTTBs, but sometimes it ends up being something wrong with SI or sometimes even the feet. His tail doesn't look even to me either- it could be that he's slightly uneven or his head is tipped but it could also tip you in on a spinal issue.
    How long has be been off the track?
    Anyways, at this point, it would be a no from me, just from a few key points. I know he's a baby off the track but he's too baby even for me, and I work with OTTB babies daily. It sounds like you're bringing him home though, and I'll admit I do really like the face. He looks soft and curious.

Pony123 likes this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Nothing to say about the conformation, but he looks stiff and ouchy when trotting off. I'd have that checked out before doing anything else with him.
    He is beautiful and has a very cute face though.

Friesiangirl and Malinois&OTTB like this.
  8. Malinois&OTTB

Yes I will
    The vet is coming out asap :)

NBChoice likes this.
  9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

He is sore and hasn't been taught to use himself so he is all disconnected from his body, if that makes sense. Youre going to have to teach him about his body. I'd check si joint...very common for ottbs. I'm not a fan of his legs. Feet are awful, but a good solid trim will not fix the pasterns. He is very shorted backed, so be careful about the saddle and the length of it. Youll be lucky to get a 17 inch there, i think. Rear fetlocks are swollen. I'd invest in some back on track leg wraps and blanket. And, work on head down cue to get him to relax and lower his neck so thoracic spine can lift. Looks like he has a splint left hind. Check suspensory there. Hip hike right hind. Check right front, he's sticking it forward. Could be nothing, or something. I looked again, you definitely need to examine that right front. It's difficult for me to tell because of the picture, but look medial right front...something not quite right there...another possible splint, but scar tissue appears to present? Arthritis is common as is ulcers, I'd run a canister of aspirin through him and a canister of ker rite trac if it was me. And, I'd have him on my feeding protocol.

Nyhia, Circle C, Alsosusieq2 and 6 others like this.
  10. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Left hind foot is twisted. You can see it in the videos from the fetlock joint down.

He'd be a hard no for me. He looks sore and that twisted foot is a deal breaker.