New Cribbing collar hurting horse -BO put on w/o my consent-

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jenamoon, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You've every right to be angry about anything that would bother you, but check your contract. A chronic cribber is a pita and destructive. Other than that, I believe they should have notified you. Try to handle this without blowing up. I personally wouldn't want him in my barn damaging things.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Since you haven't firm proof that the collar caused the issue, I would be hesitant to blame the collar.
    I would also try to find a barn built for horses where the ceilings are high enough that a rearing horse can't make contact.

I would've cut the collar off after twitching the horse, if necessary, and bought the board owner a new one. A horse smacking it's head multiple times in a short period of time could cause bleeding on the brain, a fracture, or concussion.

My next step would be the emergency clinic to have the horse checked out for brain trauma.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I would be real mad if my BO changed my horse's cribbing collar. I use the dare cribbing collar and it's by far my favorite. Doesn't have to be so god awfully tight.
    I would find out WHY she put a different collar on and inform her that you would like to be contacted before anything is changed regarding your horse's care.
    I would wrap your horse's hoof and turn him out. A horse who already cribs on stall rest is asking for a a disaster.
    Have you ever treated your horse for ulcers?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

The BO was able to take the collar off later today and all issues disappeared and is back to his usual self.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

The BO was able to remove the collar and he is back to his usual happy self. She also moved him to a stall with higher ceilings.

6. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

She did it with good intentions. She wanted to gift me this new collar, she was able to remove it later today and he is back to normal!

7. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

Checked the contract, couldnt find anything. She was able to remove it and he is back to normal. She said cribbing doesn't bother her and she thinks he should go without it for now /shrug

8. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

Couldn't find anything in the contract, she changed it thinking it would make a good gift for me I guess. It is resolved now :)

tlwidener likes this.
  9. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

It is resolved now. He has been moved to a bigger stall, he is usually outside 24/7 but the stall he was in was for sure too short!!

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

And in the cross ties!

VermilionStrife and manesntails like this.