New Cribbing collar hurting horse -BO put on w/o my consent-

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jenamoon, Jul 3, 2018.

1. jenamoon

jenamoon Registered

Okay, I wasn't sure if this would be better under tack and equipment, but I'm more concerned about the permanent negative effects this could have on my horse, and want to hear any thoughts you have while reading this.

I came into the barn today and noticed my BO had decided to put a new cribbing collar on my horse without asking consent or notifying me. He is a very bad cribber, we usually use my weaver collar that goes behind and in front of his ears. He has been using it for a year, and other than minor rubs occasionally, he has experienced no pain or discomfort with it. He is very good about me putting it on and taking it off. Today, he had this new nylon aluminum strap (I think people call it a nutcracker?) and he would not let me go near him. It was on TIGHT.

Again, this was put on without my consent or even knowledge of it.

I tried to remove it but he kept throwing his head up, threatening to rear, and hit his head on the ceiling various times. It took me 15 minutes just to get his halter and lead on to put him on the cross ties to brush him. Here, he would not let me go near his poll / ears / neck area and when I went close to just take a photo of it, he threw his head so far up and smacked himself on the ceiling again. He was also visibly shaking, and his heart was beating very fast. My mother noted he looked very depressed.

After walking him in the arena a bit I put him back in his stall (he's on stall rest at the moment for ripping his shoe off a week prior) and he would not let me get his halter off. I managed to un clip it, but he would not let me go near his poll area to slide it off. I called the BO and she thinks he may have smacked his head so hard he doesn't want anyone to touch him there. I, however believe it is an issue with the collar. He usually cribs like a mad man anyways no matter what but with this new collar he wasn't attempting at all, which is strange. By my BO's suggestion I gave him a small dose of an oral sedation to get his halter off so he wouldn't step in it but even that wasn't enough to calm him. I could touch his face and cheek, but the minute my hand was near that collar, he threw his head up in panic. My mother and a stablehand also tried, and he was not having it. He would even refuse to take my treats, which he is usually very obsessed with but this time he was not even interested.

Should I be angry? I had a breakdown at the barn trying to get his halter off seeing that he was in so much distress because of this collar. The owner agreed to try to take it off later when she comes home. I am worried he will have lasting mental damage from this. I have NEVER. EVER. seen him in this much pain / stress.

I guess I'm posting here in an attempt to collect my thoughts and hear whatever feedback you may have. Should I be mad? (I am) Will he have lasting damage? Is this NOT because of the collar like my BO thinks? I honestly think the only way to get the collar off him is to get a vet out to professionally sedate him...

edit: I forgot while I was leaving the stablehand thought it was odd he was fine with me leading him around the arena. There should have been pressure on his poll area right? This makes me believe even more that the collar is causing him the pain.

tldr; My BO put a new cribbing collar on my horse without my knowledge, now he won't let anyone near his head.

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

What did the barn owner say?

I would not be happy.

I would have resorted to a twitch to remove the collar. If the leather one was working... then why was a change warranted? Does your BO believe cribbing is a learned copied behavior?

I'd probably be looking for a new barn if answers weren't satisfactory...

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Short answer: Unless you have some sort of contract or agreement with your BO that makes her his trainer or something, I would be LIVID if someone put anything on any of my horses without my consent. Even if it was something as innocuous as a fly mask.

Fire Chik likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Did you ask the bowhy she changed his collar?
    I would be extremely angry if someobe did thatto my horse without asking me.
    Or is there something in the contract that gives her leeway with this? There are bos who are very worried other horses will copy cribbers or weavers and thus they do not like having them in their barns.

5. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Agree with others I would be LIVID. Not okay at all.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I am going to give you the perspective from both an owner of a dedicated cribber and of a Barn Owner.

I have used every type of cribbing collar and have found the a good Peri leather French collar to work the best on my guy..... but the most effective thing is to have a hot wire on all fencing, remove the hay rack and all other cribbable surfaces from stalls, treat ulcers, give 24 hour access to low NSC hay. When we travel we use Cribox on any surface he can grab. Cribbing collard stretch and eventually become ineffective and have to be replaced.

Cribbing not only destroys teeth and causes gas colic, and poor feeding.... it quickly destroys a barn and other horses pick up the habit.

I do have a clause in my contract that insist on a cribbing collar for cribbers. I also have a clause that allows me, after trying to contact owner to call vet, or take necessary steps If the owner doesn’t.

Your BO did not spend their own money to provide a collar for your horse unless there was a reason for it ..... ask them perhaps he broke his collar, perhaps it made a sore in him, or perhaps it was to stretched to work properly anymore. Perhaps he was really gassy. Then take the steps you need to fix your horses behavior issues. This might mean getting some Cribox to help protect the barn or a new collar.

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

There could be good reason for changing the collar, but I would expect to be notified. OP, sounds like you should review your board contract before having it out with the BO.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I should add I’d the horse was on stall rest, that could greatly increase anxiety and the desire to crib.... he may be partially upset due to the collar .... but I bet he was already anxious when the BO change the collar

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Why did you sedate a horse that was already agitated? Just one of the many issues i have with this story. I’m also more likely to believe this is a stall rest issue, not a cribbing collar issue.
    If the BO really did put it on too tight AND sedated an already agitated horse- she’s an idiot and I’d move the horse.
    If it’s not the collar and the horse is just super aggravated because he’s on stall rest he needs to be sedated by a vet to get his halter off and adjust the collar. He also needs the sugar cut out of his diet and a calming supplement until he’s turned out. Duct tape the foot and turn him out on soft ground... JS.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Mmmmmm, so many questions, biggest for me, what height is this place that he smacked himself on the ceiling so many times?