New Barn - New feed regime?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by lbandrew, Aug 1, 2009.

1. lbandrew

lbandrew Senior Member+

I'm looking to move my horse to a new barn within the next week or two, and his feed schedule is going to change. He's a very hard keeper. He currently gets 1-2lbs of some sort of misc. grain (lol, it comes from a huge silo - know nothing about it), 3 times a day, with a little sweet feed thrown in there. He could use a few more pounds, but he's a healthy weight... just a little hot from all the grain, and I hate feeding him that much. At the new barn, he will get 2-3 flakes of timothy/alfalpha mix hay with each feeding, and he'll be turned out for at least 8 hours a day.

I'm looking into RB's. Will that effect his energy level? Since I will be boarding him, would I have to buy it myself or would it be a bad idea to ask the barn owner if she could (I don't know if that seems unreasonable)?

Since I'm already going to be paying so much for boarding, and I already know that the feed he will be getting is definitely better quality than what he's getting now, what if I can't use a RB? I've tried corn oil in the past, but I'm not sure the effects it had because the barn owner upped his grain at the same time. What about other weight gain supplements?

Sorry.. lots of questions. I just want my boy to be healthy! :)

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

What feed wpi;d he be getting at the new barn?

If you do decide to go with a different feed, it would not be unreasonable to ask the BO if your board can be reduced.

Have you weighed the grain? Or are you just guesstimating on the weight?

What's his current hay/pasture like?

3. lbandrew

lbandrew Senior Member+

I haven't personally weighed the grain, but I asked the woman that feeds him and she said he gets 3 scoops per day (a "scoop" is about 1-2 lbs, which is why I said somewhere in between there... I did ask her that).

At the new barn, they feed Legends. Not the best, but definitely better than this bulk stuff that MUST be cheap since they feed over 250 horses with it. Found this on the website: "We feed quality "Legends" feed (Equitech 10 or Legends 12) twice a day with no charge for dispensing supplements provided by owners."

At the current barn, he gets timothy hay. No set amount... sort of gets it when he looks bored. :p His pasture is definitely not the best... he is only going out around 5 hours or so a day with 1 other horse, but there's plenty of bermuda grass for the two of them.

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Do you know what size the scoop is?

Where is he when he's not on pasture? Does he have hay then?

I would not feed the Equitech 10 or Legends 12 (both are 'just' sweet feeds). Though one or both likely has better nutriiton than what he's currently getting.

5. lbandrew

lbandrew Senior Member+

The scoop is a quart, so a little over 2 lbs. When he's not out he's stalled with, like I said, basically constant hay. I'm so confused when it comes to grain, LOL. I read somewhere that Equitech and Legends have high fat content (10% and 6%), which means that it's better quality. However... they are both textured = high sugar content? What effect is that going to have if he's -just- fed these?

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Equitech and Legends are just brands. They have many different feeds.

A quart scoop is very unusual (though they do exist). If it's a straight grain mix, that's probably going to be a little over a pound a scoop depending on what grains/ratios it's made up of.

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Equitech isn't actually the one I was thinking of (I was thinking of Reliance). Off to look around for it.

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Also do you know which Legends 12% they're feeding? I believe there used to be an actual feed called Legends 12, but they redid their feeds a year or two ago. So Legends 12 doesn't actually exist any longer, but they do have two 12% protein feeds. The one I was thinking it was is actually an 11% protein feed, so probably not the one referenced.

9. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Okay, I just looked and see why I was confused on the Equitech, it was a Legends feed. Again, was eliminated (or revamped and renamed) when they redid their feeds.

I would be very curious as to why a barn is using the old names of feeds when they don't exist any longer. I wish I could remember just how long ago these changes took place? It's been awhile.

10. bethlehem57

bethlehem57 Senior Member

Since you are paying, I would be asking.

And take it from someone who knows - what you don't know is a real XYtch! and your horse will pay for it. Any pasture with the eight hour turn out? I have found a lot of "dirt" pastures around here and no grazing space at all. Dirt with a round bale thrown in the middle does not equal grazing. Is there a place for your horse to get out of the weather? Trees? Shade? Water?

Sorry to be so paranoid - but I have been burned. Grain is important, but so is grazing pasture time.