Never be ashamed of selling a horse that doesn't fit.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by foxtrot, Jun 27, 2017.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

So, I bought a Welsh pony as a weanling because I wanted a small horse to be a glorified pet. I had no riding or competition goals for the foreseeable future. I had a Welsh growing up and he was super chill and loved lounging around after I outgrew him. I had in my mind that I'd let him grow up, then do ground work with him, and MAYBE someday have him trained to drive. I like doing dumb things like in-hand obstacle courses and taking horses for long walks like they're dogs.

Pony was ridiculously miserable. He was like a fire-breathing dragon with so much energy he could run for hours and barely be winded. He was happy while I was there but literally stared at the house and whinnied when I wasn't. Bored. Yet he was also super sweet and pretty much my dream horse as far as looks go. I went back and forth about selling him for over a year. I'd list him for a while, get offended at the replies and take him down. Decide to keep him forever and ever and then he'd do something else that highlighted he was a horrible fit for my life and relist him.

Long story short, I finally bit the bullet and listed him for good when he was 3. He was bought by a rodeo family with a big cattle farm that breeds Quarter Horses last September. Their 9 year old son does tons of youth rodeo stuff and they have a 1 year old daughter. They said the son would train the pony so that he'd be a nice broke pony by the time the girl was 5 or so and ready for her own horse.

It was so hard selling him. I can't really overstate enough how much I loved that horse. He drove me crazy sometimes but he was SPECIAL.

The buyer had added me on facebook and I never bothered her or messaged her (I hate clingy ex-owners) but hugely appreciated that she did. I get to see periodic photos or videos of him as he comes along.

I'm making this thread because yesterday they posted a video of him standing ground tied, 100% loose, while their son jumps up on his back. The pony didn't even FLINCH. He just calmly looked at the kid and went back to standing there. And then the kid proceeded to canter him through a series of circles. Super soft aids, riding the pony very considerately. And pony looked like he was having the time of his LIFE. Ears up, calm yet excited. In his element.

It made me cry, with happiness, because I knew then I'd made the right choice. Some horses love being pasture pets and some aren't happy unless they have a job.

I'm sorry for this ramble but I had to get it off my chest. I'm so glad that horse found a family that gives him what he needs which is constant stimulation and a job to do, with kids to love him and show him. My fancy little Welsh from hunter and driving lines is going to be a kids rodeo gaming pony and they said he's cowy too and learning to help sort cows! My mind was blown! lol

So... I've seen a lot of threads where people make bold claims like one of their horses (especially foals) will NEVER be for sale, and I can just say while the sentiment is sweet, sometimes it's genuinely in the horse's best interests to go to a new home. Never be afraid of admitting you aren't the right fit and letting the horse go. Sometimes they spread their wings and flourish somewhere else.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Excellent post! And I'm thrilled to hear that he's doing so well. I always loved him.

3. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I sold a horse that I really enjoyed, but she did best when ridden about 5x a week. I had a one year old son and work full time. It just didn't work.

Sold her to a lady who had grandkids and was on the mounted patrol. The horse gets ridden all the time and loves the work.

She was okay with me, but clearly thrives with the other lady. :)

Charliemyheart and DelP like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Glad to hear it. Most people think they can get a young horses as a pet, grow up with it like you do a dog, as if the horse is going to adapt to the life given them, follow ya like a puppy, etc. Doesn't work that way. Horses need trainers. Anyone can train a dog, not everyone is cut out to train horses.

Charliemyheart, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. I've never hesitated to move one on. I also never got attached to any as if they're dogs. Only one at one time and I still passed him on to a situation that fit better. I was fairly young at the time and he made a great youth horse but no longer worked with my agenda. Good post.

7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Replace the word horse with animal and I agree 100%

There is such a huge stigma against rehoming dogs but I've known many cases where the dog just isn't a good fit with the home its in.

Not all dogs are easy and not all dogs adapt to whatever lifestyle you provide. Just like not all horses will thrive in a stall or with a small herd or heck, some don't know how to live in a large herd either.

If you can't adapt your housing arrangements to suit the horse (or whatever animal) then why not move it on to someone who can? Honestly, never made any sense the fuss people put up when someone talks about selling an animal.

8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I've always been of the mind that pets are forever, but sometimes... it's just better to rehome an animal if the two of you don't mesh. Case in point - I had the cutest little Miniature Pinscher. He was so sweet, adorable and just a lovely little creature. I enjoyed him, but he and I just didn't jive. I had him for two years and during those two years, it was a constant struggle. I'm used to dogs that are highly obedient and no matter how much training we did and how many obedience courses we went to... he was just too much of an independent thinker. If I tell a dog to stay, I expect them to stay... the little dog would stay eventually, but it had to be his idea. It wasn't his fault, min pins are just bred to be very independent and stubborn. He knew what was being asked of him, he could do it and he did it flawlessly... when he deemed it necessary.

I eventually came across a woman who fell in love with him. She had another small dog, a Boston Terrier, so she was used to how willful these toy breeds could be. I rehomed the dog to her and as difficult as it was, it was the best for him. He went to someone who completely understood the mind of a toy breed and I think that was the best for him.

I eventually went on to buy a much larger version - a Doberman - and it's a much better match. He is willful, but at the same time.. he seems to want nothing more than to please. He won't even accept a treat without "working" for it first, even if it's as simple as giving a paw or backing up or something. He likes to have a job, he likes to be busy and he's a much happier dog when he's working. I can give him a pair of pants and ask him to take them upstairs and he does, before running back down and waiting for another command.

I still believe pets should be a forever thing, but it's more to the effect that they shouldn't be cute gifts to get at Christmas and give away two months later. If you adopt an animal, it should be with the intention to keep it forever. But sometimes, we have to make the tough decision that we're really, truly not the best home for that particular animal.

9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Thanks guys :) I feel like it's a topic that isn't addressed a lot--usually you either have people who are in the "keep forever no matter what" camp or the "horses are livestock and I form no attachments and sell at will" camp. There's not a lot of overlap discussed that I've seen anyway.

@PyroTekNik333 and @StarPattern I agree wholeheartedly. I'll say this--when I get an animal, I INTEND to give it a "forever home" but sometimes life doesn't work out like that. I have kept dogs with terrible health issues but I've also rehomed dogs that are just NOT a good fit with my family. Cats, too, I have kept so many cats until they die of old age, but others have just fought nonstop with my other cats and had to leave.

I certainly hope my three horses are "forever" but I can't even make that claim due to the way life is. So it's always in my mind to make sure they're healthy equine citizens in case they need to move on. But I certainly have no intention to sell any of them, why? Because they fit. Any animal that fits has a home with me, but there's no sense trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

And @manesntails I don't really want to get into a trainer debate, but I've worked with plenty of young horses in my life and that Welsh was in a league of his own. Even the horse savvy family I sold him to described him as "psychotic" when they first got him LOL. It's dumb if someone thinks they can get a baby horse and train it 100% themselves with no input, yes, but sometimes it does work out to get a youngster. It worked for me in the past. Not this time.

10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

That is awesome. I'm so happy he has a fun exciting job that he enjoys. Good for you !

foxtrot and Arem like this.