Neighbor sprayed my dog with pepper spray! *Pic added*

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LilyAnn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. LilyAnn

LilyAnn Senior Member

Wow, I am so upset right now! I don't usually post threads like this but my husband is gone and I need to vent. I am working from home today and my dogs have a dog door that goes into our (fully fenced) backyard. About 30 minutes ago, I heard them barking, figured it was a dog walking by. After about 2 minutes, the barking got worse, so I went to check out what was going on. Just as i looked out the sliding glass, I see our neighbor behind us (all the fences are chainlink) spray my dog in the face with something and start kicking at the fence and yelling at them. Lucky (the dog he sprayed in the face) started rolling on the ground trying to get whatever was on his face. I called them back to the house (they all came running) at which point the neighbor proceeds to yell at me that my dogs were about to bite him (wow, they were going to bite him through a 5 ft tall chain link fence - they are talented :rolleyes:).

I asked him what he sprayed my dog with. he didn't answer. I said, was it pepper spray, was it mace - I need to know so I can treat it. He said, yes it was pepper spray, he was going to bite me (oh, and when he sprayed Lucky, he was about 3 ft from the fence).

I just put a call into animal control. I just moved here so I have no idea what the laws are, but I don't see how it can be allowed for someone to assualt a dog that is fully contained in a fence and is in no way a threat to them or their property. I am waiting for a call back. I doubt they will do anything, but at least I will feel better. My neighbor nextdoor also rescues shelter dogs, so I will be paying her a visit tonight when she gets home from work to let her know to make sure her dogs dont get near the fence that borders his yard.

Grrr people make me so angry :flaming:

Here is his eye:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Senior Member

I would also talk to your local law enforcement as the dogs are on your property and properly fenced in.

3. LilyAnn

LilyAnn Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I plan on calling them after I talk to animal control as well. I found the ordiance on animal cruelty on our county website:

No person shall beat, cruelly treat, torment, overload, overwork, or otherwise abuse an animal, or cause, instigate, or permit any dogfight, or other combat between animals or between animals and humans.

I would consider this torment - but I guess that is up to interpretation. I am going to upload a picture of his eye in a minute.

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

My husband (who is a police officer) says that you need to call the police and make a report. This is ILLEGAL and if you have it on record...you have the upper hand. You can also take legal action against your neighbor...

What a butt-hole. :flaming:

5. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

I wish I had a solution for you, but I do have a quick fix I did once..

When I moved into my town house, the neighbor three doors up, yard was next to mine at the very top, she would sceam and throw things at my dogs..

I got six foot stockade panels and cable tied them to the chain link, until I could get a six foot privacy fence installed.

It worked, and it kept my dogs from being harrassed by her.

I am sorry this is happening to you, I would not be responsible for my actions if someone did that to my dog, what a jerk.

6. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

You should take your dog to the vet and send the bill to your neighbor.

7. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

WT Heck..?! Seriously what is WRONG with people?

I know none of us where there to really know what happened but possibly put up another fence, in front of the other one (about 3-5ft difference maybe?), along the border of your backyard and that neighbors... to prevent furture problems?

I'm sorry this happened to your dog.. that is really cruel. I can see if your dog got onto his property and was attacking him, but the dog won't bite him if he wasn't doing something stupid to initiate it.. especially if the dog is contained behind a fence. So he would have had to be sticking his fingers/hands through the fence in order for the dog to even get skin..

Moron :no:

8. classygirl23

classygirl23 Senior Member+

WOW what a neighborly welcome huh? I would definatly call the cops on this one as well especially if you witnessed it and the neighbor is in no way about to be harmed! sounds like he's just a jerk! i hope you get it figured out!

9. spinandslide

spinandslide Senior Member+

HOLY ****! That neighbor's eye would look like that after I sprayed him with pepper spray!

There is NO friggin reason, your dog was contained..BS on him!

I would file anything I could against him through animal control or the police department..and sue him for any vet bills.

Sarah

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  10. texasgal

texasgal Senior Member+

We live in a subdivision and our fences are privacy fences. I'm VERY conscious of my dogs when they are outside and do NOT allow them to bark. Having said that, when the neighbor's behind us and one to the side of us got dogs and the barking and running at the fence **** began, I fenced in an interior dog fence. They have about a third of the yard with NO access to the back or the left side.. period.

Today is pepper spray, tomorrow could be poison .. it's just not worth it.

Good luck with the police .. but look for retaliation. People that would do that to your dogs have NO respect for anyone, including the law, imo.

People suck!