Need Something EASY to Cook Tonight, FAST!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Martini!, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member+

Ok, I don't cook very often, but I am cooking dinner for my ex-boyfriend (long story, some of you know it, lol) tonight and I don't know what to make! I want something easy, but not something lame like spaghetti.

Here's the hard part...raw meat grosses me out, so ideally I'd like to make something where I could use pre-cooked meat, no meat, or some type of meat that I wouldn't have to touch/cut/prepare very much before cooking, something like that...I don't even know! We like everything, seafood, pork, beef, chicken, tofu, etc.

I hope someone has some easy recipe ideas for me, I'm kind of stressing out. Cooking is really NOT my thing. :eek2:

Thanks to anyone who offers any help! :)

2. EVOO

EVOO Senior Member+

I don't cook by recipe so this may or may not be of help but it's one of my go-to easy meals and it's really tasty. Just boil the pasta, grill the shrimp lightly and in another pan sautee the rest of the ingredients together and then toss together with a little EVOO and top with the cheese.

Pasta of your choice (I use Penne)
    Shrimp (1/2 lb??? ish)
    Kalmata Olives, I cut them in half
    Red Onion, Sliced Finely
    Sundried Tomatoes, Drained, Chopped finely
    Garlic
    Fresh ground Pepper
    A Dash of Sea Salt
    Feta Cheese

This is a very "loose" guide. I toss in whatever else I have laying around that looks good, add other spices and herbs sometimes, etc. You really can't mess it up. LOL!

3. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

Why not try vegetarian chilli or spaghetti. Go to the frozen food section, often in with the breakfast foods, or the frozen breads or health foods, buy a pack of Morning Star Farms ground "beef", fry up in olive oil, add to spaghetti sauce and do some garlic bread... if both of you have stinky breath, it won't matter...

Add a tossed salad and you are through unless you want dessert and then something like pillsbury turn overs or something is always a big hit.

4. Narmowen

Narmowen Senior Member+

Roast chicken? (Whole)

Just stick it in an oven bag, and pop it in the oven for 2 hours on 350 degrees. Season however you like. I like lemon pepper.

Or, if you prefer beef: Take some sirloin steak (or whatever type of beef cut you prefer). Stick it in a dutch oven (any covered pan/dish will work, as long as it's oven safe) and cover with 3 to 4 cans of French Onion soup. Bake in the the oven (covered) at 350 for about 2 hours. You can eat it as is, or make a gravy out of the soup by taking the meat out, and simmering the soup on the stove, and adding either flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, and stir until it thickens.

You can do the same as above only with pork chops and cream of mushroom soup (sounds gross, but it's really awesome). Just make some mashed potatoes and your set. ETA: the gravy for this is done when the chops are. You don't need to add flour or anything. It's super easy to make, and tastes out of this world.

Both are really easy to make.

5. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member+

P.S. I have this "white chili" soup seasoning mix (add beans, green chilis, corn, chicken) that I might use, but I still need some sort of side dish or something to go with it, if anyone has any ideas for that too.

6. Narmowen

Narmowen Senior Member+

The white chili (my mother calls it white bean soup) is a meal on its own. I don't think you'd need any sides with it. Maybe rolls? (Like Pilsbury?) Muffins?

7. EVOO

EVOO Senior Member+

I like Cornbread with White Chili. Heck, I like corn bread by itself. :p

8. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member+

I might be able to handle that because shrimp doesn't bother me as much as say, raw chicken! I love sundried tomatoes and feta as well, so thank you for this! I am saving it for sure!

Ooh, good idea, it also reminds me that Trader Joes used to have these really tasty vegetarian meatballs, I wonder if the Morning Star stuff is similar? I've had their vegi corndogs before and they're good. :) Thanks!

Thanks, the pork chops with cream of mushroom soup doesn't sound gross at all, I think that sounds delicious! Do I have to do anything to prepare pork chops or sirloin steak? Or can I just put them right in? I don't want to touch them much while raw, lol!

9. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member+

That's how my friend served it actually, by itself, but we discovered it was delcious to dip tortilla chips in it. I wanted to do SOMETHING with it though...

Perfect! I bet I could buy a cornbread mix that would be easy and nice and warm and fresh. Great idea!

10. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

Got to have cornbread with beans.:) I love cornbread hot out of the oven with butter (the real deal) and honey. Yummy!