Need of home...Northern VA

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by OldGreyMare, Dec 12, 2017.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Without going into a lot of detail, I am currently working with a horse who, of no fault of his own, is coming from a hoarder situation. Currently working on some legal aspects of this with the owner, but in my very limited free time, I am teaching him that human's are not bad, that you can trust us, and that a halter isn't going to swallow his face and eat him. Last time I was out I did get it over his nose, and we ended on a good note. Each time I go out to work with him, with bits of carrot, he is becoming more understanding of what I am asking him to do, he tries very hard to please. His mane is covered in burdock burrs so going to cut those away hoping that is part of his issue as they may be hurting him.

I am in Northern VA, so anyone who knows of someone who would take him or a reputable rescue who could help me with this, please, let me know. He is papered Paint Horse, minimal coloring, good hooves, about 15.2H.

I am desperate to find a home for him as the house has been auctioned off. He is in Northern VA and would make a sweet companion or a project for someone who has the time and space. Until such time, I will continue to work with him on more trust, patience, halter, and hopefully as soon as we find a home, trailer loading. It has been 17 years since he has been on a trailer, but I have the patience.

This is Skip:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    GONE ROPING, ginster and SkyeTiger like this.
  2. meljean

meljean Senior Member

I will share around too, hopefully someone will have a home they can offer....he is a pretty thing.

Pony123 and OldGreyMare like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He looks like such a cutie!
    I hope he finds a a good home.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

More pictures + video. Is he sound? Any leg injuries?

If he goes to a rescue they generally restrict adoptions to within their state. If you place him you probably won't give yourself that restriction.

5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

The owner has decided, as is her right, to have the humane society come pick him up. I hope she explained to them that he won't allow anyone to put a halter on him, nor will he get into a trailer. When we had tried a small panel and slowly went to "push" him in, he exploded and slammed himself against it as he came backwards...two grown men had the panel. Needless to say he jumped/slammed past them. Any little sound he is reactive to and suspicious of more than 2 people.

She asked my opinion and I told her...what future does he have? She admitted she had done NOTHING with him, for 17 years. No halter, no picking his legs up, no shots, no farrier work in 15 years, no worming, nothing..... just grooming now and then and treats. She is a hoarder, the folks who evicted her knew it, her friends knew it, but she only "loved" her animals. The house she was in had no carpeting, you could smell the urine when you got up to the front door.

Basic manners in a horse gets it further if one finds themselves in this type of situation. No one wants a horse who has no manners, who has never been with another horse in it's life once leaving his dam's side, who didn't trust, who, if you pushed him even a little and asked him to move his feet, would throw his ears back and add in a kick for good measure. A horse is a luxury, it is NOT a necessity, no matter how much someone wants one. This type of issue is being seen more and more, hoarding is real in our state, another place just confiscated over 55 farm animals from the same situation.

I tried...I will keep my fingers crossed that they will have more man power than I did and can get him to a place that he trusts and is a respectable horse.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Poor boy. What a shame.