Need info on my Whitman saddle

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Crazy5, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Crazy5

Crazy5 Registered

This saddle was purchased for me over 25 years ago for use in 4H shows. Has since been stored. Can anyone tell me more about it? Have searched online but can't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Did you show saddleseat? Whitman is a pretty good brand, looks like t is in decent shape as well. If you're thinking of selling, check eBay for current prices.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@Tack Collector - she will know........this is right up her alley!

Looks to be in great condition. I love seeing someone else using that trick with the stirrup leathers too! :)

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Nice condition!
    It's a cutback saddle used for Saddle Seat.
    What else were you wanting to know about it?

5. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Whitman, probably model 1047 -- Deep seat, pig impression
    If it's the flat seat, then No. 1021 -- Flat seat, pig impression
    It has extended also known as setback stirrup bars.
    If the serial number ends in S, it's the standard "medium wide" tree. If it's W, then it's wide.

It measures a bit less than 21" nail to cantle, but looks like it's 17" from the bottom of the cutback straight back to the cantle. So I'd call it a 21" for that reason. The 20" saddles are 16" from the bottom of the cutback straight back. The older British cutbacks from the '70s and '80s ran about 1/2" smaller than stated size, maybe because they were measuring the bare tree from front edge to the cantle, the way that Freedman still does today.

Everyone wants adjustable stirrup bars nowadays, but they just set the bars back as far as they go. The fact that yours has long extended bars that hand the leathers back farther than usual is a good selling point to help compensate for no adjustable bars. The pigskin seat is durable and also grippier than the "schrumph" leathers used later. Nothing beats a pigskin seat.

Here's a flat seat Whitman 21" for sale, for comparison. USED 21" Whitman Cutback Saddle (14085S) Yours is virtually new condition. But people won't hardly buy a standard bar saddle anymore, and the sticky layered leathers are the show ring standard nowadays. People won;t take the time to evaluate alternatives or try to save themselves any money, or even admit that a well-used Shively MMX or other calfskin covered cutback saddle doesn't really offer much extra grip anyway.

Whitman was sold to English Equestrian Group in early 2000s. They switched production to the Crosby / Exselle factory, Walsall Riding Saddle, for a while, and built "Whitmans" on XW Exselle trees. EEG went bankrupt, and the rights to Whitman and Crosby names were then sold to Weatherbeeta. The Norman family, who had been making the Whitman/Campbell/Coventry saddles in Michigan when they sold to EEG, bought back the factory and briefly made Norman saddles since they could not use Whitman name anymore. All of that is out of business. That's why there isn't much information on the Internet. I don't know when they stopped making Norman saddles. Maybe almost 10 years ago?

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  6. HnA Tack

HnA Tack Senior Member

Tack Collector, I had wondered what had happened to the Whitman factory, etc - I am originally from south of there & have both a beautiful Whitman Cupflap jumping saddle & a Campbell (same style). We used to just LOVE to go up to their store there. They always made such good quality English tack.

Tack Collector likes this.