need help identifying odd antique saddle

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by jason72, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jason72

jason72 Registered

Hey everyone! Just picked up a strange saddle that I can't find anything on at all. For all I know, it may not even be meant for a horse. It is made by J.A. Young (plaque says J.A. Young, MAKER, Cavan). Cavan is in Ireland for all I can find.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Lakeside, CA IMG_3080.PNG IMG_3081.PNG IMG_3081-1.png IMG_3082.PNG IMG_3083.PNG

2. unicornleather

unicornleather Full Member

Heavy horse harness saddle pad, used on traditional working harness (farm)
    Fairly old and most UK heavy horse harness had their own unique style and patterns.
    Austin (traditional country saddler )

3. ENDA YOUNG

ENDA YOUNG Registered

hi jason72 , Im writing after coming across an antique saddle you posted in 2017, I did a google search of my grandfathers name J. A. Young Cavan. I was v surprised to see your post of the saddle as Ive looked for probably 30yrs and Ive never seen a saddle of his. Im assuming your saddle was made by my grandfather. At time of his death in 1946, there were 4 saddlers in our small town, with the 4 premisesprobably no more than 150yrs apart a time when the horse was critical on the agricultural landscape. The town Cavan is a County Town (north of midland Ireland) and on the South side of the border with Northern Ireland, approx 8mls from the border. My Grandfather was in business from 1904 to 1946 in Cavan Town at Main Street, Cavan and when he passedaway my father (aged 16) took over the business with 4 saff until approx 1950 when the business died with the tractor arriving and farmers moving aware from using working horses. Coincidentally yesterday Jan 17th 2019 was the the 73rd anniversary of John A Youngs death. Quite incredible to see a saddle of his (or my fathers) stillextisting. I hope this message gets to you....for Info. Im not a member of the MyHorse Forum but signing up tonight to make contact. My email is eptyoung@gmail.com should you wish to reply. Best Regards, Enda Young