Need advice with my TWH

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Misty H, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Is he running away from you even on the ground??? As in, you can't even lead him away from other horses without a tantrum?

2. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

No he will lead away and follow me around. I can take the other horses out of his sight and he is fine. When their owners go out to ride theirs he is fine. It’s just when I leave to ride him alone or walk him alone outside the property. I don’t know if he thinks he is being taken away from his home. As in he is going to a new home again

3. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Yes he was checked for ulcers, he was good. I will definitely look into the other options for him for weight booster. I have bought so many things for him in the last month. I have faith in him when everyone else gave up on him. He really is a great loving horse.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oh, ok, I think you may have misread my first post. . . I suggested not riding him at all for a while, until he gains some weight at least, and in the meantime just hand walk him around the areas you intend to ride him.

5. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Picture of his dad a World Champion

Attached Files:

Faster Horses likes this.
  6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

8A4D7DD5-59E3-4DE0-99F8-A9137D57EBD1.png Picture of his great grand Sir Midnight Sun

7. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

That is going to happen then. I don’t want him to go lame so will do what needs to be done.

8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Is your saddle already being made or can you cancel it until her is filled out?

9. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I am not saying this to be rude, words are hard for me to put together eloquently right now.

You need a trainer to help you, and you need to stop putting human emotions on him. He likely isnt thinking that he is going to a new home when you are riding him alone, especially if he is fine when you are leading him. That would lead me to wondering if pain is the factor behind his attitude, and if he is underweight having the weight of the saddle and a person can cause pain.

Do not focus on the fact he may have been abused before, forget about that. I have found most people who say that let the horse get away with things because they dont want to hurt the horses feelings. Horses get herd bound, it happens. You need to be his leader and get him to trust you enough that he does not care. Focusing on the idea he may have been abused will not help either of you.

He is a handsome boy, you have done good with him.

Arem, NBChoice, .Delete. and 5 others like this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

He doesn't think that.

He is looking to the other horses for leadership, not you.

Spending time with him will increase his looking to you for leadership. He'll get to know you as the one who fixes his problems and protects him. That being said, you need to be willing to stand up to him and let him know if he's doing something wrong.

If he's calling out to the other horses while he's supposed to be listening to you, you need to correct and re focus him.

I agree that giving him the winter to finish packing on the pounds is a good idea.

How much experience do you personally have with horses?

Arem, .Delete., ginster and 1 other person like this.