Need advice with my TWH

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Misty H, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

493AD645-AAB2-4A96-B2CF-D8A2834B742E.jpeg 6A384EC5-6F2C-4E1F-9AE1-9177E6D9EA39.jpeg

2. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

3. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

The condition he was in when I got him 25F02816-5F49-4C5C-9D45-530808FBA29A.jpeg

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

You've certainly done a good job so far!

However, if this is his current condition, he still isn't in riding condition. He should still gain more weight.

He may have other issues to address farther down the road yet, but first he needs to finish filling out.

My assumption is that a tiny part of his issue may be that riding is still painful due to the fact that he's still underweight.

What are you currently feeding?

He's a nice looking gelding. My old gelding was a TWH. He was smart, calm, and a fair horse. Loved him dearly.

ginster and Mirage like this.
  5. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Souvie is so loving and his beg for a treat is the funniest. He sticks his head and neck way out turns sideways and smiles! Then he will take a bow. Lifts his leg way up and lowers his head. He is very intelligent.

I have him on Nutrena Smart choice senior. He eats 3 times a day recommended by the vet. Has free choice to Alfalfa pellets and also a roll of hay. This is just for him. I have him on MSM pure joint supplement, Apple elite electrolytebecause he won’t lick a salt block or a mineral block. Which I do not give that to him daily since his water intake has increased. He sweats A LOT. I also tried him on DuMor weight booster but he don’t like it and will pick his feed out from it. He gets carrots, apples, treats etc no not all day.

6. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I agree with @Faster Horses on his weight.
    He looks much better but I would wait for a few more lbs yet before riding and especially before ordering a custom saddle.

He sounds buddy sour and is also not fitting into your herd of two. They have each other, don't need him and he knows it so he clings to the fringes.
    In time they may accept him into the group but its a much slower process.
    Pasturing him with one of the others at a time should help with that.

I would take up riding again in the spring and just let him be for now, let him settle into a less than ideal herd situation, and then go out in pairs and play leap frog.
    Build his confidence up in you and himself.

Arem, Mirage and Faster Horses like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Why don't you table riding for now? You haven't had him very long, and he still looks thin and unhappy. Take a lot of walks on the halter out where you intend to ride, let him settle in and make some friends. Come spring, he will likely be a new horse!

ginster, Acornicus and Faster Horses like this.
  8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

When they are out in the 5acres together they are good. Souvie will just keep his distance because he is a passive horse. He has taken the lead a few times on rides but when he realizes he don’t see joker he waits for him to go ahead again. He was this way at his last home too because the other horses were mean to him. The other gelding here is fine with him, the mare well she is a b**ch to both of the geldings. Even her pasture mate. They stay in different pastures due to the other horses are my daughter in laws and she wants it that way. The other two horses are not mine.

9. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I have tried but as soon as he loses sight of the other horses he goes right back. We are surrounded by woods and trails. There are other horses that come riding back here. But I live in a secluded location nothing but woods.

10. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Has he been checked for ulcers?
    You could try the Farnam weight booster, black oil sunflower seeds, or Chia seeds, for weight gain